Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone interested in sewing or needlework? What are your hobbies?  (Read 11335 times)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
I was just reading a sewing blog and thought I saw someone I recognized from here. I never think about finding fellow Knee Geeks out in my other worlds. :)

I love to sew things for my girls and I also do some smocking and hand embroidery. It is my therapy and never fails to make me feel better. But I'll admit that I have let my knee woes distract me from what I love. During all of the hours I've been sitting with my knee up icing it and resting it, I could have smocked a hundred dresses. I need to figure out how to get around in my sewing room a little easier and get back to something that I love to do and distract myself a bit.

So who else likes a needle and thread? Obsessed with pretty fabric? Anyone?
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anyone interested in sewing or needlework? What are your hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:49:35 AM »
totally obsessed with sewing, fabric, knitting, making pretty things.  :)  Knitting saved my sanity in those first few post op weeks.  I made a sweater.  I haven't been able to do much sewing since the surgery. Couldn't get around on crutches at first, then no time between work, PT appts, home exercises, icing/elevating my knee.  However, last weekend, I made a new hoodie to wear to PT and a skirt.  Perhaps I "know" you from some of the sewing blogs....
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
6/10 - scope (aborted attempt at TTT)
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT
12/10 - torn cartilage & possibly PCL

*results may not be typical*

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
Congrats on getting back in the sewing room! I'm hoping to get back into mine this next week. I think I'm getting steady enough to be able to walk around in there a bit. Crutches and cords from irons and sewing machines just don't mix. :-) I have several baby gifts, a flower girl dress, and Easter dresses that need to be made. And I definitely need the distraction!  In the mean time I've definitely been haunting the sewing blogs and forums. I wouldn't be surprised if our paths have crossed before!
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
Hi. I am a crafter. I have always made things for as long as I can remember.

My mum made soft toys and rag dolls, she also did dresss making so I picked it up from sitting with her and using up the off-cuts.

I have daubled in cake decorating (made my own wedding cake), old fashioned handicrafts like quilting, patchwork, applique. Now I am into papercrafting big time and do alot of scrapbooking.

In the past I have made loads of fancy dress costumes for my children like a mermaids outfit :),victorian dress, tin tin with a white fun fur life size Snowy dog, a national costume, a tudor outfit, roman centurion, a tiger fleece top with a tail and a minnie mouse dress to name but a few. Would love to knit and crochet but fingers won't let me.

The other thing I keep promising myself is to go on a painting course, would love to do a watercolour that I could frame and be pleased with.
27th September 2010 - Tore acl at football
12th January 2011 - ACL reconstruction (Hamstring)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
You've done a lot! Your costumes sound like fun. My kids love to dream up costumes for me to make. :-) This past Halloween I made a glamorous spider and a cute little gnome costume for my girls.

I'm ordering fabric today for the flower girl dress my youngest will wear this summer. It will be smocked full-bodice front and back. I think I'll be adding pearls and/or silk ribbon flowers to the smocking on that one. And I'll be making a slip to go with it.
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »
You've done a lot!

Thats because I'm old ( :) :) :) :) :) not really, well just a little bit)

The dress you have detailed sound like it will be very pretty. I think it is really lovely to make individual and unique clothes for your children, that no one else will be wearing. I'm sure you will really enjoy making it as well, especially the smocking bit. It is so very satisfying to make things and these crafts are dying out as people don't seem to have the time or patience anymore.

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 12:49:57 PM »
Smillie,the flower girl dress sounds adorable.  I have a friend who just got engaged.  She wants to find a vintage dress, but is concerned about alterations.  Even though I despise alterations, today I am going to tel her that I will do alterations for her.  She is a teacher and her fiance is a soldier.  Money is very tight.  I am considering making the offer to sew her dress, but I don't know what sort of dress she has in mind.  I know what I think would lovely on her. :)  If she wants something really intricate, I would be terrified of messing it up.  If she wants something simpler (very little beading, no chiffon or really finicky fabrics), then I could do it.  I made my own wedding dress.  I am reluctant to make wedding dresses because there is so much pressure.  The bride wants to look PERFECT on her big day.  If I screw up the dress.... well, that would be bad.  However, this friend is lovely.  I cannot imagine her wanting the big, poofy, fairy tale wedding.  She is going dress shopping this weekend with her mom.  I will wait to hear that goes and ponder a bit more.  It also depends on how my knee is doing.  If I have to have another surgery, there will not be much sewing. 
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 08:30:45 PM »
I really dislike alterations, but I've been known to do them for special people. I'd rather make 10 dresses than alter one! I enjoy sewing a lot, but I've learned I don't have fun when there is pressure, so I know what you mean about the wedding dress. But if she is a sweet bride who would appreciate handmade and wouldn't freak out over a minor imperfection here or there, then that would be fun. My own wedding dress came from Laura Ashley and was made of a beautiful white cotton sateen with a brocade pattern. Now that I know how to sew well, I could easily make the dress, but at the time, I was very thankful for a sweet little lady in Wales who made it for me. I ordered it through a Laura Ashley store in Dallas and when it shipped to me, there was a card in there from the lady who made it. Nice touch. :-)
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

Offline Suzie30

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 12:21:54 PM »
Hi, I am new on here.
I love cross-stitching and find very relaxing when I can't do as much as I'd like.
Mainly do pictures for children or flowers for my grandmother and mother-in-law.
Love seeing the picture appearing before my eyes, although I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist.
Have a lovely antique sewing box  that I love and can't help delving in to find hidden treasures.

You all seem very creative and very talented.  I am not really in that league of making clothes. Not very artistic.
'87 PT after pedal bike accident.
'90's various arthroscopies R knee
'1999 diagnosed with Osteochrondritis Dissecans
2010 Arthroscopy and microfracture
'11 arthroscopy - intense pain, unable to fully weight bear.

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »
I started out cross stitching and went from there to smocking. Then I had to learn to construct what I had smocked. And now I know how to do all sorts of needlework. One thing leads to another! :-)
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

Offline MUMofpain

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 11:59:49 PM »
Hi. A friend of mine was married in a Laura Ashley dress and it was beautiful. Wasn't quite full length and had a large sash and bow at the back.

I bought my dress from a wedding dress shop. It was originally 1200 but I got it in the sale for 250 (a bit vulgar to talk about money but I got it sooo cheap) . It needed alot of alterations which I had booked someone to do for me 6 weeks before the day, unfortunately she let me down and I had to do them myself at the last minute - panic! My mum nearly had a heart attack when I cut the long sleeves off to make it short sleeved. :), I just didn't want to be too hot as it was a summer day. I had to alter the length and the neckline.

Although I got a bargin I wish I'd had the confidence to make mine. I don't think I could take on the responsibility of making someone's dress - unless they were really easy going. :)

I'm finding now, taking care of my son whilst he recovers from his acl op, that I've lost my creative mojo. Just can't get into making anything. For me anxiety and creativity don't seem to mix well...

Offline mermaids

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »
For me, sewing reduces stress. It was hard to not be able to get to my sewing studio after my surgery.  Fortunately, I had learned how to knit.  When I get too busy... and stressed... my boys will tell me "Mom, you really should go sew something.  You know it will make you feel better."  It was happy day when I could hobble to my studio and start sewing again.
12/90 - scope
12/08 - lateral release
9/10 - Fulkerson TTT

Offline travelthomas

• Regular Poster
  • Thomas
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 08:18:56 AM »
I use to sew my own backpacking gear back in the 1970s and 1980s.

Other hobbies are, metal work fabrication, writing and recording music, visual arts, photography, travel, carpentry, plumbing, gardening, chickens, homesteading skills, etc.
Diagnosed Celiac Disease 2003
9/3/12 - Construction Accident - Tibia Plateau Fracture + Fib Frac
9/5/12 - External Fixation
9/20/12 - 2 plates, 11+ screws (3 1/2 hour surgery)
10/3/12 - Staples removed, ROM 41, swollen knee
10/31/12 - No more brace, ROM 60, swollen knee