Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Had Plica surgery? Would you again?  (Read 12113 times)

Offline mommy0000

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Had Plica surgery? Would you again?
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:30:15 PM »
I am looking for other opinions on this surgery. I thought it sounded simple and reasonable enough to try in an attempt to get my knee back in shape, but some of the responses sound a little extreme since I'm not totally convinced that this is my only issue. I have severe atrophy and the bone density is very decreased due to lack of use of this leg from long term constant pain. I have another MRI scheduled soon to see what else the doc will do while he is cutting, but if you have had this problem and have any answers please reply. I am wondering how long other's have waited, their outcome, how and what  you have used to deal with the pain before and after the surgery, (a betamethasone injection has helped me but is now wearing off), and has anyone had this surgery and been disappointed with the results or very happy with them? Thanks!

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
Re: Had Plica surgery? Would you again?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 11:37:31 PM »
Hi there~

while i was still under my previous OS's care, i had an MRI done which came back inconclusive.  after trying numerous NSAIDs, bracing, taping, icing, you name it, i had to resort to surgery.  My OS felt that the plica was the problem.  During surgery, he did find a plica thankfully and it actually was the largest plica he's seen.  I'd like to say that after the surgery I was like new again, but it wasn't the case for me.   :-\  That literally was only the start of my 18 months full of 5 surgeries. 

This doesnt go without saying that I didn't have some relief after the plica being removed.  I had a few good weeks where I felt better and was able to do more.  However, that quickly ended and I was stuck in a situation, not knowing where to turn to next.  Thankfully, now that found a different OS, he's been able to work with my malalignment issues.  From what you said about the bone density etc.  i just have to wonder if there is something else going on besides a plica.  it wouldn't hurt to perhaps find another opinion if at all possible.

surgery itself was easy to recover from i felt.  didnt take too many pain pills and was only on crutches a few days tops.  keep us all informed about everything!

best of luck
~Mandy :D
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline Tanya71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • When does it get better? :)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 01:08:29 AM »
Hi there - I had a plica resection Feb 8 of this year - and just saw my OS again today. I was doing really well at PT, feeling good and making progress, and then it was like the rug was pulled out from under me. I went from a bout of tendinitis in April (pes tendons) during PT, to increased pain medially and under the knee cap.

Following an MRI last week, it was determined I have edema (swelling) around the Hoffa's Fat Pad as well as scar tissue in that area, where the plica was removed. I was also told I have chondromalacia patella, and an area of "rough bone" medially that wasn't observed during my scope that is indicative of arthritis.

It should be noted the main reason for my scope was that I had a meniscal tear and had 30% of my medial meniscus removed - the plica was found incidentally during surgery and removed - and it was a large one at that.

On a consistent basis, I am in more pain NOW than before the surgery. Some of that may be fear and being apprehensive of using the knee, leading to weakness and mal-tracking of the patella. However, everyone is different and heals differently. Would I have another plica resection??? Depends on how bad it hurt compared to my pre-surgical experience this time. Having had other issues being the main reason for the surgery in the first place, hard to say. After research and my post op conversation with the doc where he told me my recovery would be longer due to the plica resection (and he has been right), to me it would have to hurt on a consistent basis and pretty bad to consider it.

But that's just me. I don't know if that has helped you in your situation. I certainly wish you the best. Being in pain is no fun at all - hoping you have some solutions soon.

All Best,
Tanya
8/05 Fall. MRI:Fibular fx,sprains/strains. OS says chondromalacia/poss meniscus prob
10/05 Start PT
1/06 Bone scan (neg)
2/06 Rt knee scope-partial meniscectomy/plica resection
2/06 St PT
7/06 Change OS
8/06 St aquatic therapy
10/06 DonJoy TruPull brace
11/06 Released PT, home PT
Patellar pain STILL

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:36:05 PM »
Hi , I had a plica excision 4 weeks ago. My OS thought I had a meniscular tear,but when he did the arthroscopy found the plica. I am sorry to say I have found it very painful, alot worse than I expected. I am having physio now,which is helping. I do feel as though the original pain has gone, but I dont think I will know until it has fully recovered. It is still very swollen and tender, and sometimes hard to walk on. Both my OS and physio are confident it will fully recover, it is alot of hard work with excercises. Also my physio thinks I am suffering fro RSD, as trousers touching my knee hurts and when she massages it ,agony! But back to the question would I have it done again? I think I would say yes, as I was struggling so much before I couldnt have carried on like that. I think if I had been told the recovery might take longer I would have been more prepared, I was told I would be able to drive after 5-7 days, and better after  2 weeks, so that makes you feel worse when that doesnt happen. I am driving now (after 3 weeks) and I am back at work, but find work hard going as stood alot. I am trying to be positive!
              I did need strong pain killers and still take them at night,but the best thing and still is ....ICE!
                          Hope you get sorted and I wish you loads of luck! Lesley
Arthroscopy-excision of synovial plica  24th April 06 (left knee)

Offline kneeman42

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 12:07:00 AM »
i just had plica surgery 4 weeks ago.  it has been a struggle as i am still having some of the pain that i had pre-surgery.  i am not sure that the plica was the problem as different os's were telling me different things (some were saying i have oa).  i happened across a doctor who seemed good so i went with him and the plica surgery.  not sure if it was a good idea as i am still fairly swollen and have pain standing and walking.  its tough because i wanted to do something about my situation and took a leap of faith.....i think i need to wait before i can be sure but i am feeling a bit on the downside about this.

Offline Lattitude 61

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 04:11:11 PM »
When I had surgery for the plica they didn't know what was causing my problem. it wasn't showing on xrays or MRI. I had gone just over a year trying non surgical methods to make the pain go away. It didn't respond to PT, Synvisc injections or Cortisone injection. We finally decided to do surgery to find the problem. Doc said that it was an ugly, angry Plica. He took the plica and a fat pad out. I was on crutches a week, recovery took about three months, and by six months my knee felt virtually the same as before the injury. I knew on the third day after surgery we fixed my problem with my knee. I contracted my quads and the pain I always felt in my knee when doing a quad contraction was gone. What a relief. As you can tell, that was my only problem. The knee was in great shape otherwise. In my case it worked well and I would do it again.

Offline brina

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 06:54:46 AM »
I'm in the "considering it" stage... Probably should have had it done years ago.

After 10 years of doing without running, etc, I finally got fed up and decided to see if something could be done.  I asked my dr, and, that day, in the office, she palpated the plica, then did an injection directly into it.  It helped, now 10 days later it's hurting again.  Guess that means that

a) it really is the plica
b) it really will need surgery to really be fixed.

Still, I'm functional now (as in able to walk, work, and do mild sports), and I'm uncertain about whether it's worth the trouble/risk, just to be able to run again.

It's a dilemma.

Offline mtviso

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 10:33:48 AM »
Hi there,
had plica removal a year ago and since then only misery with my knee. Had get second opinions before one OS finally agreed that my knee is full of scar tissue and even said the magic word arthrofibrosis. Tried all the conservative treatments which all failled. I will have my second scope tomorrow and I am a bit worried, because my OS doesn't promise me anything and we don't really know what needs to be done with my knee.
Good luck for everybody facing surgeries soon!
10/06 plica resection, chondromalacia II LK
arthrofibrosis
09/07 sequestrated lumbar disc, peroneal nerve damage, foot drop
10/07 scar tissue removal LK

Offline castlerobber

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 03:30:28 AM »
Yes, I would absolutely have the surgery again.

The problem for me was pain while sitting with the knee bent, and catching when straightening the leg.  Long car rides, playing my flute, any prolonged sitting where I couldn't extend the leg.  I had to turn down going to a software-training class for work, because I just couldn't sit with the knee bent eight or nine hours a day for a week.

The iontophoresis that was part of my PT was the only thing that helped at all.  We tried one cortisone injection, but the OS didn't even attempt to inject directly into the plica--he actually went into the lateral side of the knee--so it gave me no relief.

At six weeks post-op, my OS asked if I thought the knee was better than before the surgery.  My answer then was "maybe."  By ten weeks, I was able to say "yes, for sure."

I'm four months post-op now, and back to normal activity.  Long bike rides, church-orchestra rehearsals to prepare for our Christmas program, sitting through dull meetings at work ;D , all without pain.
31 May 07 - medial plica excision, lateral meniscus tear removal, patella debridement - RK

Offline sargemckenna

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 05:22:58 PM »
I had plica removed 6 wks ago. Still have a lot of swelling and not walking very well. I guess I have to wait it out a few months to see if this is going to be worth it. Right now I'm doubting that this will fix the problem but it might be a premature statement. I didn't think scoping a knee would be such a drastic thing to recover from. I might have to go on temporary disability at this rate. I thought I could be back to work in 2wks. tops but I'm on my feet a lot so this is not working out yet.

support