Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Misguided Fools  (Read 7998 times)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • OSCAR
Re: Misguided Fools
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2006, 12:09:19 AM »
Hi,

I drive a Renault Clio 3-door hatchback and my hubby drives a Rover 416 5-door hatchback. Even though the Rover is the bigger car, I find it far easier to get into and out of the Clio. I think maybe because it's a 3-door vehicle the doors are bigger than those on the Rover, so more space is provided near to the seat when the doors are fully open. This poses a problem when trying to find a parking space - I need to park in such a way that I can open my door fully (whether I'm driving or a passenger) in order to get in and out of the car. Sometimes it's difficult but never have I found it impossible.

When my leg was completely immobilised I used the trick of pushing the seat right back and changing the angle of the back of the seat. This way, I could get into or out of any car at all. Admittedly I'm not that tall - only 5' 6" so I suppose that's something I should be grateful for.

I've found up until now that people that come across as ignorant or condescending do so because they don't understand what having a knee problem involves. The general public cannot grasp the concept that it affects everything you do, from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night - assuming you make it that far. I'm very lucky in that people at work have been absolutely fantastic and when they ask questions they actually listen to what I have to say.

Something else I've noticed too. Years ago people would've just stood and stared if they saw you with a leg brace on, particularly if it was the size that I have which can only be worn outside my clothes. Now I find people are more prepared to ask what's happened to my leg. At first I thought this was a bit cheeky, but I think it's better than having stares and people pointing. I think I'd rather have them ask and I can explain in a couple of sentences.

Having said that, I keep posting, keep venting, smiling is something I have difficulty with right now but I'm sure my happy knee days will come one day.

Take care,

Laura x
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:17:41 AM by laura79316 »
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

Offline sjdean

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2006, 09:29:57 PM »
Howdy!

Yeah, Im from the UK everyone. It's not so much that people are rude that I object about, but that they choose to be rude without asking questions, without knowing the full facts.

I myself drive a Nissan Primera. Today I just got into my mom's car in the passenger side. I have to have the seat all the way back normally to drive, so, in this condition, even with the chair all the way back, and the back down, I just didn't have the flexibility to get in. I can't squeeze past the door.

Finally managed today, with the seat upright too. But, I was far too uncomfortable. Still don't have the degree of knee bend I require to feel comfortable with the pedals. I have to have about 95 degrees normally for the pedals. My knee just feels far too tight, and I wouldn't feel in any degree of control.

Sometimes I wonder if this is worse than being permanently disabled. I mean, it's sort of being in limbo. You can't park in disabled spaces, you're not allowed any extra attention, but yet you have a similar set of problems.

Cheers
Simon

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 12:46:06 AM »
In the usa -- The lovely state of New Jersey wiill issue temp disability parking for a small fee of 4.00 amd that will get you 6 months of lovely handicapped parkingl.  The doctor has to sign the form that you get at the local police department.  and you can get renewals..

Ofcourse.. one hopes for the day they do not need handicapped parking.. well there is always that christmas hope..

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2006, 12:12:25 PM »
How many of you have heard that immortal line .....a had a mate who did that they were fine after a couple of weeks. ::)
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!