Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: CARTILAGE DAMAGE  (Read 809 times)

Offline 1DALE

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
CARTILAGE DAMAGE
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:50:29 PM »
I MISSED THE BOTTOM STEP ON THE STAIRS AND JAMBED MY KNEE. I CAN FEEL SOME GRINDING UNDER MY KNEE CAP JUST BEFORE I FULLY STRAIGHTEN IT . I THINK I DAMAGED THE CARTILAGE.WILL IT HEAL BY ITSELF ?

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: CARTILAGE DAMAGE
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:07:08 PM »
Depending on the actual injury, it may or may not heal by itself.  If you have a torn meniscus, it is unlikely to heal by itself.  90% of the menisci have no blood supply, and therefore can't heal themselves.  If you damaged the articular cartilage, it also cannot heal itself.  However, if you just jammed it, and the swelling is causing the crunching and pain, it could heal by itself.

Depending on your insurance situation, I'd recommend a visit to an orthopedist who specializes in knees.  (NOT a GP, who may even make things worse instead of better.)  If you don't have insurance, or you're the type who avoids doctors unless absolutely necessary, try RICE for 7-10 days - rest, ice, compression, and elevation.  You can take an anti-inflammatory like ibuprofen as well (600 or 800mg 3x day is the dose for anti-inflammatory affects, smaller doses may help a little, but won't really resolve swelling), but be sure to take it regularly for 7-10 days.

If, after 1-2 weeks  you don't see significant improvements, go to the dr.

Good luck-
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)