Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: discoid lateral miniscus and incidence of tear  (Read 855 times)

Offline mamabeth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
discoid lateral miniscus and incidence of tear
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:20:45 PM »
Ok so hear goes. I am old-55 and have been running for about 25 years...not fast and have complete one marathon and two half marathons during the past 3 years. I have never had knee pain until recently. I had done some interval training(to get my speed up) and after that seem to have some right knee pain. It then seemed "crunchy" and some buckling and then was at a golf range when I swung and of course, missed(not my sport-played softball all my life) and knee really hurt that day. Anyway, that was 4 weeks ago and I just had an mri and it shows some arthritis,ligaments are fine but I have this discoid lateral miniscus and dr asked me if my knee popped all my life---I do not think so, but...ignore stuff. So, he says it may be that a tear is in there somewhere....ok, now my big question...I have signed up to do chicago marathon in oct with my daughter(lifelong dream-sorta). Do I just try to train and forget the pain or do I have the surgery in a month and hope I can run afterward? or do I do marathon and surgery later? or do I forget this darn addiction and move on to swimming(ugh) and biking...ok....on my shoe it says "my drug of choice,running." HELP!! cause they do not see the tear, but knee is a problem now--so is it just the arthritis or is the discoid miniscus really torn?  ??? ???

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: discoid lateral miniscus and incidence of tear
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 10:55:19 AM »
Hi mamabeth ~ Sorry to hear that you're having problems. But this is the place to find people in like position. Since I didn't know what a discoid meniscus was, I looked it up & found the definition to be the immaturely formed meniscus of a child & that by the time the meniscus matures it changes shape is no longer disc shaped. So I'm not sure why, as an adult, your meniscus is the shape it is.

Given your years of running you may well have torn a meniscus & degenerative changes are not uncommon given the wear & tear. MRI's do not always show everything that's going on in your knee so it may be that arthroscopic surgery will reveal more but that's something you & your OS can discuss. Why not make your OS aware of your intentions to run in the Fall & together decide which is the best route to go. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline mamabeth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: discoid lateral miniscus and incidence of tear
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 01:09:19 AM »
Thanks for your reply! well the os just sat there saying...well, I cannot believe it hasn't given you problems before now and do what you want...GREAT! As I angst over this darn thing....I so wonder....maybe a stupid question...but willl training for another marathon getting me to a wheelchair faster? I ran a 5 k on sat and did ok....32 minutes-will take it! Wore a band around knee,just for support. No pain after.\then today ran for 50 minutes without a band and I am back to the same feelings that sent me to os. But, the pain is on the inside left of my knee and radiates thru the knee and knee feels like I have to be careful not to turn a certain way....just do not want to do surgery if not needed but guess ortho is an ok surgery for now>>>>>>>>> oh dear