Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Update - saw OS today.  (Read 591 times)

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Update - saw OS today.
« on: May 22, 2006, 05:04:08 PM »
Well I saw the OS today (a different one to last time) and he spoke to me like a normal person and told me everything! I have a maltracking knee cap due to general tilting that is present in both knees. He agrees that I may well have a tear in my meniscus or at least a very aggravated old scar. I am now on the waiting list 4-6 months for an arthroscopy. He said he will repair any tear if it's there, shave my kneecap again and if it looks appropriate will do a lateral release. So I may need two weeks off work or four depending on what they do. Does this sound about right? I will have to broach this with my boss - not easy having time off as a teacher!!

It was good to have someone just explain it to me rather than be wishy washy and me be confused. Am still nervous though. I live in a 3 storey house which will make recovery interesting!

Thanks for any advice you have given.

Itigo xx
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Update - saw OS today.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 05:47:18 PM »
I can not imagine a waiting list that long.  I had the ability of scheduling my surgery when it worked for me, it could have been a week later or 5 months later. 

If you can arrange things on the first floor so you can live there for a week or two, that will help you considerably.  Many doctors do not want you weight bearing right away, which makes maneuvering stairs on crutches very precarious and dangerous, even if you are comfortable on crutches. 

I hope things work well for you!  Best of luck!!!!
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 06:43:52 PM »
Thanks for the message. Luckily we have a bedroom and toilet on the first floor! I have been told by the day surgery nurse no crutches as they will want my knee moving as soon as possible. The OS said no movement for 48 hours so I guess bed rest.....

The waiting list is standard NHS I thought..... Considering I first went to the OS in October, another 4-6 months doesn't seem too bad!!

Itigo x
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline sharon74

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:09:10 PM »
Just a difference on where we live and insurance coverages  :-)

I would confirm with the OS that you are not to move around for 48 hours, if you aren't you will need the crutches to use the restroom, unless you plan on bedpans!!  :-)  Hang in there - you will make it, and you always have the support system here!!!
1990 - left knee exploratory - removed scar tissue
1991 - left knee LR
1993 - right knee LR
2002 - left knee LR
2006 - left knee TTT/LR

support