Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: cartilage replacement before TTT  (Read 752 times)

Offline eatsleepswim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cartilage replacement before TTT
« on: May 22, 2006, 04:29:06 PM »
Your postings helped so much in preparation for my Fulkerson osteotomy.  But today when the OS went in to do it, he found I had no cartilage on the lateral side.  Now I need to have a cartilage replacement before it can be done.  He says I need to be "on call" to have the surgery within 24 hours of finding a suitable (cadaver) donor.  I'm waiting to get more information, and I'm hoping to get feedback from you so that I can ask all the right questions.  Anyone have any experience with this procedure?  Any input would be helpful.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 04:39:40 PM by eatsleepswim »

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: cartilage replacement before TTT
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 05:21:23 PM »
Check out the "Cartilage Plug Transfer" board in the arthritis section.  I think it's unusual, though, to do the cartilage replacement before the TTT.  But it could be different for plugs than for other replacement/repair options.  But generally they want the alignment to be fixed before replacing caritlage, otherwise it will just get worn down again.  I know you've got both planned, but I'd ask about the timing, and the impact the alignment issue could have on your recovery from the transplant.

Good luck.
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 09:28:40 PM »
i agree totally.  I was first set up to do a cartilege transplant and a  TTT but was told that you must align things properly first.  It doesn't make sense to me either.  you should do more research.
Missy

Offline eatsleepswim

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:50:15 AM »
Thank you for your feedback.  Since I posted, I spoke to my OS, he said that it made sense to do the TTT first, but would need to take it up with the surgeon doing the cartilage replacement (which I understand is bone and cartilage!).  More research to do.  You guys are great.  And.... blackbeltgirl - I understand how much you must miss Taekwondo - I had to stop at red, but plan to get back after my knees get better....  Great job getting second degree black!

support