Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Flying and Knee Braces  (Read 13011 times)

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • Love me love my knees!
Flying and Knee Braces
« on: May 19, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »
sorry bit of an odd question, can you fly whilst wearing a knee brace fixed at 60. I know it might be a pain getting into the seats, but has anyone been told not to.
Thanks

Bridge
xxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Shallow trochlear groove, Patella Alta & tight ITB dx '03
Right Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope 2004
Left Modified Galeazzi, LR  2005
Redo Modified Galeazzi, LR and scope and medial reefing 2007
Right redislocation 2014

Offline Little Ally

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Flying and Knee Braces
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 08:31:11 PM »
Hiya Bridget!!

I flew to Canada with my knee brace. Caused abit of a stir at Heathrow security, with the beep beep machine. They took several swabs and tested them for explosive material. After realising I actually had a real knee problem they let me though the gate!! I think my limp convinced them!!

I had no problems on the flight other than alittle swelling from sitting to long I guess and feeling more stiff then usual. It wasn't the most comfortable of experiences but the flight staff were really helpful. I travelled alone and funny enough sat next to a canadian who was also wearing a knee brace for ACL problems. My flight was 8 hours, how long are you flying for?

Allly xx

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 09:17:17 PM »
You will find that you will not be able to have the extra leg space seats by emergency doors as you will be considered as not being fit and able bodied - not being able to help at emergency door in event of something happening. Other than that you should not have prob. - keep those legs on the move though and make sure you get an aisle seat on the side of your bad leg.
anj
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline JHTraveller

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:02:52 PM »
With many US carries they have to give you a bulkhead seat to accomodate your knee brace.  They will even go so far as to bump someone who already has reserved a bulkhead seat into another seat if there isn't another one available.  I would make a point of showing your brace when you check in and ask for a bulkhead.
Jan 1989 Torn ACL(L)
Dec 2005 Complex Tear to Medial Meniscus (L)
Feb 2006 Repaired ACL and Meniscus Trim

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 02:24:10 PM »
Its only a 2 hour flight, than a 6 hour one, so its not as bad as going as 8 hours straight!

Thanks, its a pain, but I want to get this op over with before I start my new job and that unfortuantely means co insiding with my holiday plans.

Bridge

xxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Right redislocation 2014

Offline tippyclubb

• Regular Poster
  • Its all about knees!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 05:13:30 PM »
I flew to Califonia ( 6 hours ) with brace and had change of planes.  It was uncomtafortable and caused swelling from having the leg down.  Call the airline and get a wheelchair or a electric buggy.  As you know the gates can be far a part.  Could be too much walking for you.  Once on the airplane tell the airline attendant you will need a wheelchair when the plane lands and they will wheel you to the front door.  Don't think I could have made the trip without the assistance of the wheelchair.  Way too much walking.

tippyclubb

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 12:47:38 AM »
When you check in ask for an upgrade to first class or bulk head..and I agree tippycubb...get a wheelchair,  every time I have flown with crutches they have upgraded me and given me a wheelchair without me even asking....and while your sitting there during the flight make sure you tighten and release your glutes and quads...it helps against stiffness and pain later...

good luck

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 11:00:28 AM »
Thanks guys, the walking doesn't bother me as I'm an old hand at the crutches, as I've spend most of the last three years with them due to ops, dislocations etc. I was just concerned about the leg brace on the plane and whether it would have to come off because of swelling. But everyone seems to have done ok.

Thanks very much, it makes one thing a little easier, as I don't know what I wouls have done if I couldn't fly.

Bridge
xxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Right redislocation 2014

Offline Megwi

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 01:16:35 PM »
Bridge,

It may be worth you taking aspirin for a few days prior to and after your flight to combat DVT. Thats what my surgeon advised me to do anyway!

Good luck with the flight

Meg
Ski fall Dec '05
MRI scan Jan 06
Surgery Feb 06 (TPF with ACL 1 screw, arthro meniscus removal)
Out of immobiliser May 06 and into PT
Scar tissue/ROM issues.
57 PT sessions.
Finished PT Jan 07 with nearly full ROM PT said "youve got more than I ever thought you'd get."

Offline Chris Cross

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 04:20:54 PM »
Bridget, forgive my ignorance but why would a knee brace help you during a flight. I sit for long periods at work and I'm also flying soon so would a brace help me to not fell so stiff when i stand up ?

thanks, chris.

Offline sheri l

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 07:41:09 AM »
Hi Bridge

THANKS!! Your query with replies has made my day.
I injured my knee skiing in March - an unhappy triad.  Had my op two and  a half weeks ago.... and my surgeon did an ACL healing response procedure. I am in a full leg brace for a month, with only 30 ROM allowance for brace off exercise.  Pool exercise very limited keeping leg stiff.  Rehab starts 8 June with an ACL brace on order.
As the summer approaches I have felt more fed up wondering how on earth I am going to fly home.... so having read this today I am greatly cheered.
Good luck!
Regards
Sheri L
skiing injury 16 mar 06,
 unhappy triad,
acl healing response repair 3 May 06

Offline BridgetJones_uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Love me love my knees!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 10:36:37 AM »
Sheri I'm glad it is some help to you too, chris, I'm having surgery in the next couple of weeks due a complication of my original repair (As in the repaired ligament has broken), So I'm starting again, the OS is going to fix it, but it means being in a brace fixed at 0 then 30 and then 60 for about 8-10weeks normally. My holiday coinsides with the last weeks of my wearing my brace and i really don't want to cancel it, as I haven't seen these friends for ages and I'm so looking forward to it.

I just want to add I hate my knee brace, but love it post surgery I wouldn't chose to wear my post op brace all the time, my patellas dislocate and that brace does nothing about from protect the ligament from stretching.

Bridge

xxxx
Trauma - Dislocation '96
Chondromalacia, PFS '01
Right redislocation 2014

support