Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Could this be a plica problem?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Could this be a plica problem?
« on: May 22, 2006, 10:54:23 AM »
I had a plica excision 3 years ago which took a long time to recover from, I've recently started a new job that involves a lot of  sitting down, I try to get up and move around when I can but it's not easy at the end of the day my knees are very sore and stiff and the pain in my 'good' knee is now feeling like my bad knee used to before the surgery, like there's a tight band pulling.  I really want to avoid surgery, is it possible to, what steps can I take, is it just a case of exercising through it and strengthening certain muscles, I would be grateful for any advice, I can't afford to take time off right now due to financial and family commitments so I need to keep going.
Cany anyone relate to this at all?
Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
Re: Could this be a plica problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 11:34:24 AM »
hi donna
i had plica removal 1 year ago

at the time i was in 2 minds about it, as Plica Syndrome is a controversial diagnosis, and a lot of OS's dont' think it really exists.  Plica problems only occur when there is something else wrong with the knee

I opted for plica removal and now my knee is worse and signs are that i have cartilidge damaged

Concincidentally my right knee is also showing similiar symptoms.  I'm not sure what it is but I will try everything i can to avoid surgery.  I do not advice 'exercising through it', if anything you should make sure your knee gets enough rest and is not over worked.  Build up the strength and flexibility in your quads but be nice to your knee as well. 

plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:38:48 PM »
Hi Donna , just seen your post, replied to you on mine! I know what you mean about the tight band round your knee, that is one of the symptoms I had, and still getting now after the op. I am doing the excercises on my good knee as well in the hope it will keep it at bay.I dont think I could go through it all again, At the moment I feel as though the op hasnt helped, and still in pain. OS and physio have assured me it will get fully better. I hope your good knee settles, can you not get some physio on it before it gets worse?
           Good luck.
Arthroscopy-excision of synovial plica  24th April 06 (left knee)

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:31:27 PM »
Hi lesley
Thanks for your post
I think as long as there were no other complications I would've thought you should make a complete recovery, (not that I have a clue of course  ;D  ) I think mine was unusually slow and I don't think I helped matters as my quads were very weak pre surgery.  My symptoms post-op were different to what I experienced before, the pain was completely different and still is, the pain I get now is a dull aching, accompanied by a bone on bone type pain when I put pressure on it at a certain angle  ::)  My 'good' knee is behaving the way my bad knee was pre-op which is worrying me a lot because at the time of my op my OS wanted to do both knees but I refused, I'm so confused I just don't know what to do.  I think I may have to go down the physio route again, I am currently having physio for a breathing disorder and also an upper back problem so I'm not sure if my insurance will agree to it.
Thanks foryour support   :)

Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

support