Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Frustration, thats the name of the game!!!!!!!!!  (Read 904 times)

Offline Chris Cross

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Frustration, thats the name of the game!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:05:18 PM »
Hi, Ive been diagnosed with a maltracking kneecap. Here's my history- I started experiencing pain in my left knee after long bike rides about 4 years ago. My PT showed me how the outside of my quads where over developed and helped me to release them. I had an MRI which showed no major damage. I got rid of the pain and had great knees but had to stay away from bikes forever (sigh!). About 7 months ago i started to develop pain in both knees. Iv'e had PT and been told that my knees are maltracking again but I have been given every reason for this under the sun, tight quads, lack of core body strength, fallen arches, one leg shorter than the other, Ive had orthotics made, ive been given every excercise known to mankind. Ive also seen an Oesteopath who said there was nothing wrong that he could find. The problem is that excercise seems to aggravate the problem. I'm going to see a doc on Monday who, I hope, will refer me to a knee expert.

Ive no doubt that my problem is due to maltracking but what can I do to help?

Does anybody know of excercises to build quads that are effective but are non-load-baring?

Are there any effective excercises that isolate and work on the VMO?

Has anybody on this site recoverd from Patella maltracking without surgery?

Has anybody got anything good to say about surgery?

Who's gonna win the world cup this year?

thanks. ChrisCross.

knee deep in Goo

Re: Frustration, thats the name of the game!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:46:19 PM »
You can get a yoga belt and strech your leg. YOu can get a small childs ball and squish it between your legs.  You can put it behind your back and do leg squats. You can put it under your quad while sitting and push down.  A towel also works.

You can do straight leg raises. side leg raises.   

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/gym/gym_menu.html     This part of the site can give you an idea of what lan excercises you can do.   Also there is a book on Amazon for Aqua therapy with a pool noodle

I bought one of those yoga balls and you can blow it up and gently bounce on it as well.  But if your ultra miserable . just put the towel under your quad and press down ...

right now my quad is my challenge..  I can weight bare.. and do leg extensions.. but I cant lift the bar with any weight.

Offline Chris Cross

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 09:56:00 AM »
Thanks, ill look into this and let you know how I get on.

Chris Cross

Offline Chris Cross

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 07:22:08 PM »
What do you mean by "bounce on the yoga ball" ive got one of these but dont do much with it.

Kind regards, Chris.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 12:38:05 AM »
I love boucing on a yoga /pilates ball...mine is 60 inches diameter and I sit on it, knee about hip withe and bounce...I usually do about 100 or so....it's none weight baring and your quads get a good warmup plus some cardio,...

good luck

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Chris Cross

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 04:16:34 PM »
Thanks, ill try it. Sounds like using a space hopper withuot the handles!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 04:24:49 PM »
pretty much.. if you know what a space hopper is .. you may be a child of the  70s

Offline Chris Cross

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 12:00:50 AM »
Oh yeah, born 73 but 80's was the best decade!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 01:25:17 AM »
lol - I agree.   I was born in 69 and  I feel that during the  80's most of my memories as a child - teenager had been estabished ..  The 90's is pretty much a blur..  with only work memories.   I guess my 2k memories will be dealing with medical crap.

support