Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: HELP!  (Read 655 times)

Offline gemmat84

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
HELP!
« on: May 19, 2006, 09:14:17 PM »
Hi, this is the first time that I've posted here so I'm not sure if I'm in the right place but I'm hoping that someone can help me!I have been having problems with both my knees for around 8 years now, I'm only 21 so I don't think that until now what's been happening has been taken very seriously.Around a year ago I dislocated my right patella,I spent 10 weeks in plaster then had 6 months of physio, just before christmas it dislocated again, I wasn't put in plaster or indeed any support of any kind, so it obviously kept dislocating again and again and again.Eventually I was referred to a consulltant who performed an arthroscopy and lateral release almost 2 months ago.After the surgery he told me that my patella was actually 40% out of line and was effectively dislocated all the time anyway, he told me we would have to at least try physio but that it might not have worked.Surprise surprise my patella has been sliding all over like there's no tomorrow!My surgeon has now told me that he'll be performing medial reefing but that he will also be moving my tendon over by cutting into the bone and then re-attatching it!He didn't actually tell me what is was called or what it involves in any great depth, only that I'll be in plaster for at least 6 weeks afterwards. I'm terrified about all of this, I don't know what's going to happen. Can anyone explain to me what he's talking about? I left his office in a bit of a daze yesterday as this means that I have to drop out of university completely, their patience can only go so far!
Please if there is anyone out there who can help me I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.
Gemma  :'(
Dec2005 right dis.ignored for 3 weeks-dis.8 times in 3 weeks.
Jan2006 right leg in plaster for 6 weeks.
Mar2006 unsuccessful LR.
Sep2006 TTT and medial reefing.
Mar2008 arthroscopy to remove scar tissue and fluid.
Feb2011 arthroscopy to remove scar tissue again, identified need for MPFL recon.

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 09:29:57 PM »
Hi Gemma
sorry dont know anything about your knee probs but - could you not work with your os for your surgery to fall in a uni break, summer/christmas? My os has fixed mine for the day after my lot finish their A level/GCSE exams.

Also why should you have to leave uni? - they will have to provide suitable amenities for you and treat you as a disabled person for the time being - even if it means that you move into a suitable halls room for this. - there will be a way around it - If you want to carry on at uni - fight to be able to carry on - even if it means you work from home!

Good Luck with it - dont forget you have worked hard to get where you are - dont let go of it lightly - do I sound like a mum? ;D oops
anja
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 12:02:38 AM »
Hi Gemma

It sounds like you need your patella realigned. From your description it sounds like he is talking about a TTT Tibial Tubercle Trasfer, mine was on Monday and was called a Fulkersons. The tuberosity the lumpy bit of bone at the top of your shin is cut away with your patella tendon attached moved accorss and possibly up a bit and two screws are put in to secure it. The ensures that the patella tracks correctly and in many cases prevents dislocations and complications that arrise because of them ie Osteoarthritis.  Have a look at my post op diary and that of Tangerine, Brigitta, Jerman, etc
There is a lot of info on this site about this surgery. I am 4 days post op 33 and a bit over weight and I'm trundling around on my crutches so it can't be all bad eh. Anja is also right about asking to have it done when you are on vacation.

I suggest you call you OS or his secretary and find out exactly which sort of surgery he is referring to. Every surgeon has different procedures ec, I am in a brace for 3-6 weeks some are put in casts. Please don't worry util you now the facts etc.

Let us know how you get on and keep your chin up.
Hugs
Hop  ;D

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 12:21:27 AM »
Gemma,

I understand where you are comming from.  Before my last surgery my patella was 70% dislocated at rest and went out further when using my leg.  The procedure that you were describing sound like the TTT (tibial tubercal transfer).  I have had the Elmslie-Trillat version done on both of my knees.  Medial reefing tightens the structures on the medial side of the patella, the medial reticulum, in particular to help prevent the lateral movement of the patella.  This surgery does require a lot of rehab as it is not an easy surgery.  I was in an immobilizer for 6 weeks, on crutches for 8.  It takes a lot of work to rebuild the quad muscles.  At around 8 months I was feeling more normal and wasn't constantly thinking about my knee.  I went back to swimming competitively at 8 months.  I don't think that you need to quit school.  I took 2 weeks off for both of my TTT and after that I was more mobile and able to get around school to all of my classes.  I am sure there is someone there that you would be able to talk to  in order to arrange for you to be able to stay at school and friends can take notes for you if you are having a bad day and can't make it to class. 

There are a lot of people on this site that have had the TTT.  As Hop said, you should look at the post op diaries board and look at some of them to get an idea of rehab and when people became more mobile.  Every OS has different rehab protocols but it should give you an idea of what to expect.  Hope this helps to answer some of your questions. I will try and answer any more that you have.  Good luck and try to take it easy and hopefully you can figure thing out with school so that you don't leave unless you want to. 

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline gemmat84

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 07:47:53 AM »
Thanks a lot for all your advice guys, it's definately put my mind at rest. The reason I can't go back to uni is because I am training to be a primary school teacher, I had to repeat the second half of my first year and I was going to have to repeat all of my second year when I was due to go back - I don't live on campus so travelling in was an issue anyway and now they've told me that even with the surgery being done they would have a difficult time trying to convince schools to take me on a teaching practice because of the health and safety risk. They've been less than helpful throughout the whole thing anyway really so I'm not that surprised. I'm currently looking at other routes into teaching such as getting a job in a school and then getting a sponsorship to do day release to uni.
For those of you that have already had a TTT how much pain are/were you in afterwards? My surgeon told me that it would be a lot more painful than my last surgery since he is actually operating on bone this time as well as muscle, I am still having to take quite a high dose of painkillers each day because my left knee is hurting a lot too due to the fact that I'm compensating for my right one not working properly(I have arthritis in my left knee as a result of repeated dislocations about 8 years ago)Do you think it is worth me asking about treatment for the left knee too? I understand that sometimes arthritis can be treated through an arthroscopy.
Thanks again for all your advice, I'll have a look at the post-op diaries.
Gemma
xx :)
Dec2005 right dis.ignored for 3 weeks-dis.8 times in 3 weeks.
Jan2006 right leg in plaster for 6 weeks.
Mar2006 unsuccessful LR.
Sep2006 TTT and medial reefing.
Mar2008 arthroscopy to remove scar tissue and fluid.
Feb2011 arthroscopy to remove scar tissue again, identified need for MPFL recon.

support