Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MENISCUS AN D ACL SURGERY 7 WEEKS AGO NOW PAINS IS BACK PLEASE HELP  (Read 802 times)

Offline queenie90247

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
7 WEEKS AGO I HAD SURGERY ON RIGHT KNEE I TORE THE MEDIAL MENISCUS THE LATERAL MENISCUS AND THE ACL.........   LEG WAS GETTIN BETTER SLOWLY THEN A WEEK AGO PAIN STARTED COMING BACK IN BACK OF LEG AND INSIDE OF KNEE AND KNEE GIVIN OUT AGAIN...  IT FEELS LIKE IT DID BEFORE I HAD THE SURGERY IM WORRIED I REINJSURED SOMETHING  I TOLD MY  OS AND HE DISMISSED IT I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO   ANHONE HAVE THIS PROB?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 10:02:30 AM by queenie90247 »

Offline pauldfc

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Had the same problem mate, The PT told me its the Tibia and Femur moving which is causeing the pain. What ive been doing is excercises for the last 2 months to strenghthing the muscle around the knee which means that the two bones will not move as much, doing this has gradually made the pain go away. No quite there yet but that was my expirience of what your going through.
Mniscus removed form right knee
Miniscus removed from left knee
ACL ruptured left knee
ACL recon left knee

Back playing football, 5 times a week and arguably as fit as i was!!

harry78

Hi there,

I can sympathise with your problems and I had similar, but it is only after 7 weeks. I think it is still way too early to become worried. If it's giving way or feeling like this, it is prob because there is'nt enough restraint in the leg yet and that this will come after the graft has found its way and settled. The graft is loosening after implantation and this is common, but be careful as to what you do in this early post op period. Plus the fact that you've had damage to the medial and lateral meniscus, so I'm guessing there's been a partial menisectomy or repair on these. So to sum up -

1) The graft is weakest in first few months after ACLR
2) Damage to meniscus needs time to settle
3) Pain around knee is prob due to weak musculature (particularly hamstrings) and support around knee

These three factors are enough to make it seem like the knee is buckling or giving way, so be patient keep positive and work on the Range of Motion excercises and mobilityfor now. Strength will return soon enough after you've achieved these (don't forget to tighten the quads by isometrics - as hard as you can when lying down contract them and hold for 10 secs and so on.

Good luck Harry

support