Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Burning Pain - Left Knee  (Read 911 times)

Offline The Cat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Burning Pain - Left Knee
« on: May 15, 2006, 10:43:07 PM »
First post folks so here goes.

I have been running for about 5 months now and have had absolutely no injuries up until now. I have been running about 5 miles a day since i got the notion but over the past few weeks i have begun to experience a weird pain afterwards and sometimes during the run.

It feels like a burning pain but comes and goes. I use a muscle rub cream and some anti inflammatory but to be honest they aren't really doing much good.

Does anyone know what these symptoms could be? I always run on concrete and use near new Adidas A3 running shoes.

Thanks, i look forward to hearing your remedies and advice.

Offline bobbiewinnard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Burning Pain - Left Knee
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:02:54 PM »
This depends where your pain is.  If it is muscle pain it could well be to do with the way you are running and if you continue to run with this pain you will exaggerate your bad running style to ease the pain, making the problem worse.

If it is a pain on a bone it depends which bone and what angle your leg is at and how much weight it is bearing when you get the pain.  I strongly suggest you run on grass, can you not run in the park or round a golf course?

Let us know exactly where your pain is!!!!!

Offline The Cat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:10:45 PM »
It doesn't feel like a muscle pain. It is on the inside of my left kneecap, it is DEFINETLY a bone pain. It is painful when i have completed running and the odd time during it. I have proper running shoes. I have been really pushing the fitness for 5 months, a rest possibly?

Any suggestions?

Offline bobbiewinnard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
Get some rest and go see your GP.

I suggest if you need to run, do it on soft ground.  It could be any type of injury because, with your knee, the injury could be in one place and the pain is felt in another.

Example, my PT from my last op told me that the pain I was feeling below my kneecap on the left hand side was actually caused by trauma inside, behind my kneecap, its just weird.

Offline The Cat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 05:12:42 PM »
Any other opinions?

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 05:33:47 PM »
A Meniscus tear could cause this pain, but only a doc and mri's or x-rays will give you the answer, we could go on "guessing" forever, and that is not gonna do you any good, and I agree with bobbiewinnard, run on softer ground if you can.......good luck

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline Wojt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 10:11:45 PM »
Nerves around the knee (saphenus for example) can produce this symptoms. I had the same problem for couple of years. MRI did not produce anything. Eventually it came down to my low back and neural canal stenosis there. I just simply stopped jogging. I suggest, if nothing conclusive with your knee, to check low back MRI.
Regards,
Wojt

Offline The Cat

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 12:34:36 AM »
Any more thoughts?

Offline Chris Cross

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 09:21:02 PM »
Have you looked into Runner's Knee or Chondromalacia of the patella. Do a web search it may be this? Your first step would be a decent physio. (good luck with that, sigh!!!!)
Hope this helps.

support