Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: To Anyone who has had dual Tibial Tubercle Osteotomies...  (Read 782 times)

Offline J ernie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
To Anyone who has had dual Tibial Tubercle Osteotomies...
« on: May 18, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
I am having my right knee done in 7 days...on May 25th. I hope to have my left leg finished in the summer as well, but I am a little unclear on average recovery times. How long did you wait between surgeries? I have about 12 weeks after my first surgery before school starts, so I'd like to be close to recovery from my second surgery by then.

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
Re: To Anyone who has had dual Tibial Tubercle Osteotomies...
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 08:51:32 PM »
did your doctor discuss recovery times with you?  Do you have a plan worked out with your doctor?  Every doctor is different with recovery procedures.  I had a tibial tubercle transfer done Nov. 7th.  and I will tell you it has been a long,long,long recovery.  I am not sure what a osteotomy is though.  I can't imagine you having them both done and ready to go back to school in l2 weeks, but not sure.  Keep looking on here.
Best of luck
Missy

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 09:07:12 PM »
I had my TTTs done very far apart due to moving and having to find a new OS, but remembering my recovery I would not have thought about having the second one done before 8 weeks.  It is a tough recovery but by that point I was walking without a crutches and a limp so I could think that it could be done on the other knee at that point.  There are people on the site that have had them done 7-8 weeks apart so hopefully they will answer you and tell you more about their experience.  At 12 weeks, you should be starting to feel better with your second knee to go back to school if you had them done 8 weeks apart.  Just remember that it is a long recovery to get back the muscle strength in both legs after the surgery.

Let us know what you decide to do. 

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 09:28:04 PM »
I had both TTTs done last summer. The absolute soonest my OS would allow me to do them was 6 weeks apart. I ended up having them done about 7 weeks apart. This worked fine for me, but looking back, I'm not sure I could have done the 2nd one much sooner than that. My OS is fairly aggressive as far as rehab protocols, I think. I saw 2 other OSes before scheduling surgery with my current OS and one of them wanted 6 months to a year in between and the other wanted 4-6 months in between. So, it really depends on the doctor. Good luck!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:32:38 PM »
My OS wouldn't do them closer than 6 months, but I had a lot more done....lateral release, medial reconstruction... maybe that's why

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 12:55:15 AM »
My OS didn't specifically say just how long he'd wait before doing the other one.  He just based things off of how i was healing.  I ended up having my second TTT about 3.5 months after my first.  I felt that this in the end was enough time for me to get most of my strength and everything in my knee.  Yes it was rough after putting all that stress on a knee that had been operated on a few months back, but that pain wasn't anything horrific....just the occassional soreness.   :)

Before i found my current OS, my previous doc wouldn't have even thought about doing the first TTT until i was almost 5 months post op from a scope that clearly didn't work.  i cannot be thankful enough that i found my current OS who is willing to fix things ASAP.

best of luck!
~Mandy :D
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline J ernie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 05:03:22 PM »
Wow...I'm amazed by the amount of helpful and insightful people on this site. There is never a shortage of positive input...thank you all very much!

I am leaving right now to discuss the surgery schedule with my OS. I am having a lateral release and a VMO procedure done at the same time, so the idea of having a second surgery 8 weeks after is less then likely. I would just like to get them both out of the way so I can concentrate on finishing my degree.

Anyways, once again, thank you for your responses. I am sure I will need some more input once I reach post-op, and now I know who to ask!

Offline ElleCarumba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 07:31:12 PM »
I had a VMO advancement and a TTT at the same time on the 1st Feb and will have it on the other other leg in Sept/Oct. My doc seems very cautious with his protocols, which I am OK with if it means my knees will be fixed! I could have ahd in August but am going to be in the USA for the summer so I told him to put it back til Sept at the earliest.

I actually found the VMO bit the worst to recover from- the bone and everything is healed well but the VMO is sitll not back to normal. I haven't got my "spring" back into my step yet so I do still use my crutches a bit when I am at uni all day and get tired walking around campus.

support