Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Me and my knee again!  (Read 769 times)

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Me and my knee again!
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:54:59 AM »
Hello everyone - haven't been on for ages. Been swimming and cycling in a bid to improve my muscle tone around my knee. Have seen 2 physios, one who said that the ligament that runs across and under the knee is tight and could be causing a problem. Both have said that some of the pain is coming from where the bones join and can't understand how my MRI was clear as it sounds like there's inflamed scar tissue or a small tear. They have also said that I have a collapsed medial arch in my foot on both feet, but very pronounced on the bad knee side. I now have lovely insoles that feel like I am walking on pebbles. Have had those for a few weeks. One physio also reckons that my kneecap is misaligned as well, probably being pulled by the stronger muscles on the outside.

I still have pain if I squat to any degree. Can't jump onto that leg. Trying to demonstrate jumping jax to my class is nigh on impossible, or I have a gentle go and then regret it. A colleague commented on how I looked going up the stairs yesterday as painful - apparently I had my lips pursed and went very gingerly! I think I may need to go to a gym to strengthen the muscles as the swimming and cycling help a little but not much. My knee hurts after 20-30 minutes of swimming. My OS said that I can use all the leg machines in the gym!

I am seeing OS on Monday and he will x-ray back of kneecap which was dislocated and shaved 16 years ago, cartilege removed. He also said that if I am still in pain (see above!) that he will give a cortisone injection into the joint which is an unusual step for him apparently. Then if that doesn't help he will go in to poke around. None of this is appealing!

However, I am fed up with the pain, the niggles, the sudden jarring that makes me yelp and the dreadful crunching - a sports massage therapist commented that I should go into her college to demostrate a hearty crepitus for all the students last Sunday!! Charming!

I know mine isn't too bad when i read stories like Laura's so I shouldn't moan, but it is affecting how I live my life now. I want to be able to jump up and down and run with my daughter and do my job properly as an active teacher.
Would love to hear from anyone with similar issues.

Itigo x
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: Me and my knee again!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 07:05:09 PM »
Hey Itigo,

If you are having problems with you rknee to the point where you end up posting on this board then those problems are just as bad as everyone else's. They may be a little different but we all deal with our knees differently and if it's affecting your life to that extent, then it needs sorting out.
When you see your OS next don't leave until he's given you some answers. It may be worth writing down your questions so you don't forget anything.
Your knee shouldn't be behaving like this and you have every right to get proper treatment immediately. Don't give up like I did. You are stronger than that and I'm sure you will fight to get your knee better soon.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline itigo

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »
Thanks Laura! You are very kind. Will write questions down so that I get answers. I will also tell him what the physios have said. He never let me see the MRI report and didn't read it out (I guess cos it's technical and they assume we're all thickies!) Is this normal in the UK?

Will let you know how I get on......

Hope you are okish...... big hugs

Itigo x
1990 dislocated LK in hockey
1990 arthroscopy - debridement, cartilage removal
05 LK unstable and painful
May 06 dx tilting kneecaps
Nov 06 arthroscopy and open LR
Oct 07 debridement arthroscopy
Sept 09 - May 13 subluxing frequently
May 13 TTT and MPFL reconstruction

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:40:12 PM »
Hey Itigo,

I don't think it's necessarily normal. My OS showed my my MRI scan and explained the report to me so I was under no illusion about what was going on with my knee. Maybe this should be one of your questions.

I'm OKish thank you.

Take care,

Laura x
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation