Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Screw Removal  (Read 750 times)

Offline nichole

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Screw Removal
« on: May 18, 2006, 09:06:19 AM »
I had a ttt in feb and im only 3 mos post op and my knee is still tender and "slips " occasionally I still cant go down stairs, rom is good but now its getting sore pretty quickly and sitting gets pretty uncomfortable my next appt is in 2 wks too long . I also have a dip in my knee where he removed bone and a lil bump where new bone is but under scar could this be because of the screws if so ehat is recovery like and how soon is the average removal please help I m afraid I didnt respond well to my ttt I dont want another suegery  :P
torn miniscus 02'03
tons of cortizone inj
patella femoral realignment 02-24-06
28 yo f mom srudent

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
Re: Screw Removal
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 09:24:20 PM »
I had my TTT done last Nov. and over the last 3 weeks has sitting been ok comfortable for me.  This drove me CRAZY!!!  It was a throbbing pain.  I still had a lot of swelling though so I got cortisone shots 3 weeks ago, this helped a lot with the swelling and pain with sitting.  I don't think your knees ever look the same again after this surgery.   Mine arn't close to what it looked like before.  As far as  screw removal, mine are there to stay.  I think most doctors leave them unless they cause a lot of problems.  I think the knee looks so different because they have put parts of your knee in places where it has never been before. You have to get past the looks of it, it is hard, I know, I am only 40 but it still bothers me.  Just battle scars they say.  But this is a very difficult recovery.  Keep spirits high and e-mail me if you would like to talk.  I also am a mom of 2 teenage daughters. 
Best of luck
Missy

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 09:40:21 PM »
Hi,

Try not to worry too soon. It's only been 3 months...which seems like a really long time to be recovering, but TTT recovery is typically 6 months to a year. When I was 3 months post-op I still couldn't really go down stairs and still had a lot of muscle weakness. It wasn't til I was 8 months post-op that I realized that I was finally feeling back to normal...I didn't feel like I was going to fall when I tried to walk down stairs. The post-op pain/soreness/aching was pretty much gone...except after activity. Are you in physical therapy? I was in PT for 11 months...which I think is a good bit longer than most, but it really took me a while to get my quads to respond and get back to normal. Take a deep breath, relax! Talk to your OS when you see him and tell him your concerns. I'm sure everything will be fine. Good luck! Let us know how your appointment goes!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline nichole

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:12:37 PM »
well the scar dosent bother me its the tenderness that is really tough to chew andim getting married soon and the garter is on the r leg and course thats my surgery side so its tender and ugly Im only 27 w a 2 yo and a 4 yo
torn miniscus 02'03
tons of cortizone inj
patella femoral realignment 02-24-06
28 yo f mom srudent

Offline keeperkid24

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 10:14:47 PM »
Three months is much earlier than i felt 100%, but if your doc is sure that your screws are giving you problems (usually you have pain right over the screws), i had mine out three months post-op after my first TTT cause i was allergic to the metal. It turned out that having another surgery gave me RSD, a chronic pain syndrome, so I would be very certain that it was your screws since you are so early post-op. You may just have a ways to go before you feel 'normal' again. THe best thing to do before you see the OS is continue strenghtening your quads and working on your ROM, since a strong knee will always feel better than a weak one
01/03-LR (left); 09/03-TTT, medial reefing, plica excision, LR (left); 02/04-screws out; 11/04-TTT, LR, medial reefing, plica excision, etc. (right); 08/05-screws out (right) to reveal a fracture in the tuberosity
Also have severe RSD, EDS, and soo many allergies