Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Can you tell me about your Tibial Tubercle Transfer  (Read 1998 times)

Offline TBCGurl

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Can you tell me about your Tibial Tubercle Transfer
« on: May 18, 2006, 02:47:23 AM »
Hey everyone!
I wanted to say thanks for all the replies and the welcome. In my last post everyone said my sugery woudl be Tibial Tubercle Transfer (TTT). I dont know for sure yet, but its sounds like it to me. I will find it out Tuesday when i go back to the doctor. I hope its not too much trouble. But I have look up the surgery, but i would like to heard from people that actually had it. Like about the surgery, hospital time,a and recovery, and just your story.  I hope I am not asking too much. If you want you can post it on here or e-mail me at [email protected], Just let me know. Thanks for all the help. This surgery is new to me and about everyone I know. But I am glad i found such a great site for help and comfort. Its such a blessing!
Thanks everyone!
God Bless!
In Christ,
Jennifer
June 19,2006-Proximal Soft Tissue and Distal Bony Realignment (LK)
August 15,2006-Wound closure from last surgery (LK)
January 15,2007 Meniscus Repair (RK)
January 27, 2009 Open Wedge Distal Femoral Varus Osteotomy (RK)...

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
Re: Can you tell me about your Tibial Tubercle Transfer
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 03:31:07 AM »
Jennifer,

Here is a good article explaining some of the TTT procedures. 

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/html/steps/step_05_patella/realignment03.html

The Rehab Dept - Post-op Diary section has many, many diaries of people's personal stories about their procedures.

Good attitude, following the doctor protocol with icing, elevating (leg), NonWeightBearing, resting & meds are important also.

This surgery has a long recovery process, but the end goal of having a knee that works is definately worth going down this road.  I'm still in the recovery phase myself but feeling stronger each day.

Let us know how everything goes.  ~Shade
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 03:33:41 AM by shade »
July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 04:00:16 AM »
Jennifer,

As Shade said the Post Op Diaries have a lot of information on this surgery.  Every OS seems to have different protocols for the rehab from this surgery but I will give you a quick run down of my TTT.  For both of them it was day surgery and I was partial weight bearing with crutches immediately.  I had an immobilizer on for 6 weeks and was on crutches for 8 weeks. I was back swimming competitively at 8 months post op but because I had problems with both knees and still have some problems with the one knee I never returned to running.   It is a slow rehab and hard work but it was worth it for me with the relief it provided.

Let us know what the doctor says when you go back. 

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 04:33:46 AM »
Hi Jennifer,

I've talked to you online a little bit, but I thought I'd go ahead and post. I had a TTT on each knee last summer...approximately 7 weeks apart. Both were outpatient. The first time, I was released from the surgery center a couple hours after surgery. The second I had some complications so they kept me overnight. As far as recovery, the first week is definitely the worst...probably the best for just resting, icing, elevating, etc. I was in a post-op brace (locked in extension) and on crutches for 3 weeks. Once off the crutches, I walked around with the brace locked in extension for another 2-3 weeks. After a follow-up appointment with my OS I was allowed to unlock and gradually wean myself out of the brace. I started PT at 1 month post-op. Around 5 and 3 months post-op (each knee) I was allowed to start jogging. At 7 and 5 months post-op I started playing tennis again.

I'm not gonna lie. The surgery really isn't any fun and it takes a lot of hard work to recover from, but it is so worth it. Even though I will be having my third surgery in a few weeks, I don't regret having the TTTs for a second. This spring was the first time I have played tennis without a knee brace...and without fearing dislocation in as long as I can remember. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Also, take a look at the post-op diaries. They are a source of vast information and personal recovery stories. Good luck with everything!

~Erin~
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline brigitta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 11:23:06 AM »
Hi Jennifer

I've written a lot in my post op diary but here's a summary for you.

My left knee was done 3 months agao and my right knee 3 weeks ago. Neither was much fun but it was bearable. The first is the hardest as I think you go into a bit of shock but after the first few days it wasn't very painful (the second has been worse because they took me off a lot of meds that gave me a bad reaction). I was weigth bearing as tolerated and bending from day one. It took me about 12 days to get the first to 90 degrees and 4 weeks to walk unassisted.

The second took me only a week to get to 90 degrees and 9 days to walk unassisted (stronger leg).

I started physio as soon as I could which was a few weeks after the first one and about a week or so after the second. Just do as much as you can, don't push it too hard. Every surgeon on here seems to have different idea on what is best but follow your own doctor and listen to what your body tells you, you'll know if you have done enough or whether you can do more. My physio has told me to use the front of my knee as a barometer, if that area really hurts then I have done too much.

I'm still very stiff and a bit sore in my right knee and a bit sore in my left if I've done a lot of getting up and down but the surgery has been a positive thing. I can already tell that my knees are going to be stronger than ever before because I have muscle control that I didn't have before the ops.

If you have any questions post them in my diary and I'll answer them as best I can. Try to keep a positive attitude and not to be scared. There's a heap of people here who would love to help you out and you can vent all you like to us and we understand! 

Wishing you all the best :-)
Brigitta

Offline TBCGurl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:23:56 PM »
Thanks everyone! I will keep you posted. I know that I am not looking forward to surgery, but who does. I know it will be worth it in the end. I would rather get it done now then later.
In Christ,
Jennifer

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 09:11:19 PM »
Hi,

I had a TTT done this past November7th.  Everyone on here is right, recovery process all depends on your surgeon.  I had same day surgery, but stayed in a hotel for the first 5 days because I live 2 l/2 hours away.  I had PT 2 times a day while I was there, and then 3 days a week when home, but did exercises at home on my own.  I will tell you that this is a very tough surgery to go through.  I had the TTT and  a lateral release and medial tightening at the same time.  I was non weight bearing for 5 weeks, then 25% increase per week until full weight bearing.  I was in a brace that locked in extension except when I took the brace off to do PT.  This was very unpleasant for me to say the least, as I have restless leg syndrome.  But my doctor kept the pain down really well with the meds..  Take them as needed, and don't let your pain get out of control.  If you let it out of control, it takes sooooo long to get it back again.  I am almost 40 and have 2 teenage daughters, so it was so difficult for me not to be able to do anything.  My house also has stairs and I had to learn how to maneuver them without killing myself.  I ended up scooting up and down them, believe me, pain pills, crutches and non-weightbearing don't go together.  Sleeping was a real problem for me, so my DR. prescribed sleeping pills to help with that.  I am about 6 l/2 weeks out and I still hurt.  In fact I got cortisone injections 3 weeks ago, as I was still in worse pain than before the surgery.  But that's the risk you take with this surgery.  Some people are helped a lot, some like me not.  But I am now in a position for partial knee replacement when I can't take it anymore. 
I notice that you have a strong faith, and that will make the world of difference.  Also, where do you live?  If you would like to talk just let me know or e-mail me. 
In my prayers.
Missy

Offline Mandy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
    • Knee Photos
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 01:08:56 AM »
Hi Jennifer!

I've had a TTT on both knees.  One was done in Feb 2005 and the other was done in June 2005.  While some days are most definintely better than others, the recovery is only a small pain when you think about how much you're going to be getting your life back after healing!! 

for both surgeries, i had to check into the surgery center about 2 hours before surgery time just to get ready.  basically just blood pressure, temp, all that fun stuff.  i've decided for all of my surgeries i had to have a spinal anesthesia.  that's basically a tiny tiny needle that goes in your back and eventually numbs your body from your waist on down.  i hate to have general anesthesia, plus with the spinal i was allowed to watch part of my surgeries, which really interested me haha.  :) 

both of my TTTs took approximately 1.5 to 2 hours, including the lateral release and debridement i had done as well.  i woke up in the recovery room with an immobilizer on.  i think i was in the recovery room for maybe 2 hours give or take.  i was in a surgery center and my surgeries were both outpatient.  i stayed at a hotel the first nite after surgery since i live 100 miles away from my OS's office. 

the first week is probably the worst part of recovery.  i was really run down from anesthesia and surgery takes alot out of your body, period.  the most important advice i can give you is to stay on top of your pain medicine, rest and ice as much as you possibly can (my OS had me icing 24hrs a day for the first week), and a must is to be sure to get up slowly!!  you'll probably hear of the dreaded bloodrush and boy does that catch you off guard.  i always found it helpful to just sit up from the bed or couch i was laying on.  just sit up for a bit and when you're ready, to very slowly and carefully get up. 

brace-wise, i was in an immobilizer for around 2 weeks if i remember and then i was switched over to a post op brace for another 6 weeks to gain back ROM.

i really can't think of anything else at the moment about the surgery.  i have post op diaries from both surgeries so feel free to read those!!  otherwise you can check out my post op pics at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/knockdownhockeychick87/my_photos   

hope this helped and please let me know of any other questions!!!

~Mandy ;D
21 yrs old
12/04: plica removal (RK)
2/05: debridement, LR/TTT (RK)
6/05: debridement, LR/TTT (LK)
10/05: scar tissue removal/debridement (LK)
3/06: screw removal (both knees), debridement on TTT site (LK)
5/08: debridement, HTO, Maquet procedure (LK)

Offline ElleCarumba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 07:39:12 PM »
Hey

I had my first TTT (with VMO advacement) in Feb. No brace or anything for me afterwards but I was completely Non Weight Bearing for 6 weeks, where are other people are partial weight bearing from the start. Depends on your surgeon and your knee really.

I must have been lucky because I had very little pain- I had a little morphine before I came round but none after that. Just had ibuprofen over the counter type painkillers after that and some anti inflammatories. I took them for two weeks because the doc has said to do so, not because I had any pain.

I was in hospital for two nights (surgery was in the evening on the first day). I could have been sent home after one night but I didn't feel very confident getting around on my crutches so I stayed an extra night to get some more practice.

I felt very woozy all night after the op, felt sick but never actually was sick. I ahd no appetite though and couldn't even face the thought of a drink of water so was on a drip to prevent dehydration. Felt much better by lunch time the next day.

Sleeping was a bit annoying as I like to go to sleep on my front and I couldn't do that but I taught myslef to sleep on my back after a few nights' practice!

I shall be having it on the other knee later this year as well.

Offline TBCGurl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2006, 05:52:04 PM »
Thanks again everyone! I am learning more and more about the surgery everytime I come on here. I know that whatever happens is the Lord's will, so I just have to lean on Him in this time. I will keep everyone posted about my surgery. I am hoping I will get a date for surgery Tuesday when I go back. Thanks!
God Bless!
In Christ,
Jennifer

MHillman:::I live in North Carolina, what about you?

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"
Philippians 4:13

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 09:38:05 PM »
I live in Kentucky.  just wondering.  Hoping and praying that your surgery is a success and brings you relief from your pain.
Missy

Offline TBCGurl

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 02:17:17 AM »
Thanks for the prayers. I know I have many prayers for me from people on here, family,friends, and my church family. I know God is in control. I go to the OS tomorrow. I have not seen him since about a month ago when i hurt my knee the worst. I am hoping i will get my surgery dated! I will keep you posted!
Thanks!
God Bless!
In Christ,
Jennifer

Hop skip n jump

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 02:29:03 AM »
Hi Jennifer

It's 2:22 in the morning here, just wanted to add briefly. Like the girls have said the post op section of the board is great. I learned so much before my surgery when I went in I felt totally prepared.

I had my TTT and LR last Monday so am a week post op. Despite an infection in the leg not in the incision itself I am itching to go out and very mobile on my crutches. I am taking a lot of pills for the infection but have cut down a bit on pain meds. I was taking them 4 times a day now 3 times a day. I feel able to walk with one crutch now, but having taken advice on here will wait until I have spoken to my OS. I am fully weight bearing with an IROM brace. Although it's sore it's not agony by any means at the moment. (Not sure aht it will be like when I start PT) I would say I'm probably putting 80% of my weight on my 'bad' leg when I walk with no real discomfort unlessthe pain meds wear off and I start to ache.

Al in all I am VERY happily suprised that it is no where near as painful as Ithough it would be.

Ask me again in 2 weeks when the brace comes off and I start PT, I may be telling a different story! (Hope not!)

God bless you too.

Hop x
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 02:31:01 AM by Hop skip n jump »

support