Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Transplants  (Read 838 times)

Offline Davidparnold

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Meniscus Transplants
« on: May 18, 2006, 11:47:38 PM »
I just had my lateral mensicus removed last week, and I had the medial removed in 1995. I am only 42, and I am seriously considering a Menicus transplant to prolong the life of my knee before knee replacement.

I had a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone have any experience with this?
2) How long can I expect this to last?
3) Hoe long does the donor process take?
4) Does insurance cover this?

I am hoping to get back to an active lifestyle (without the sports this time.)

Thanks Again,

David

Offline sarucci

• Regular Poster
Re: Meniscus Transplants
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 03:26:37 AM »
How much of your meniscus has been removed in total??  I am a 27 year old soccer player and just over a month ago I had 40% of my lateral meniscus removed.  I'm having surgery asap as my range of motion returns following the injury and scope.  I don't have any answers for your questions, but am interested in any posted replies!  In my next surgery (or surgeries?) I'm having ACL reconstruction, maybe MCL as well and the transplant...  I still hope to be active and athletic following my recovery.
ACL 3, MCL 2+, LCL, Meniscal Tear- February 2006
Scope= 40% meniscal removed- March 2006
High Tibial Osteotomy, ACLR- July 2006
Healing Time- NOW (post surgery)
...  looking forward to golf & yoga
28 y/o ex-varsity soccer player

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
Re: Meniscus Transplants
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 05:24:51 AM »
Hey David,

I haven't had the medial meniscus transplant yet, but I'm planning on having mine next summer as I'm currently recovering from an ACL revision, which was needed to make my knee stable enough for the meniscus transplant to hold. I have absolutely no medial meniscus left in my left knee and am experiencing arthritic changes at the age of 19.

- Anyways, my insurance has yet to approve the transplant even though we've been working with them since Valentine's Day of 2005. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and they view it as an experimental surgery so I'm still having troubles on that end. I know it's not the easiest surgery to get covered, but I also think it depends on what type of insurance you have. I had to get my BCBS because it was the only one that would cover Dr. Noyes office.

- I also haven't had a donor match, but I don't know how much of it is my surgeon not really pushing it. They took x-rays of my knee to determine the size match, but I haven't heard much else on that front from them.

- My surgeon (Dr. Frank Noyes in Cincinnati) told me to expect the transplant to last 5-7 years before it would have to be redone.

Good luck and check out the meniscus forum b/c you'll have better luck finding people who've actually had it done and have more information on the topic!

- Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **