Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is it possible to fix my knee to stop it clicking?  (Read 7829 times)

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Is it possible to fix my knee to stop it clicking?
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:50:33 PM »
Poorly-worded question, but essentially I have mild chondrolmalacia in my right knee. It's from running. It's mild enough that I can run up to 4 miles or so with no pain and then it starts in. After a day it feels better and then after a week of no running (whenever I take that long, which is rare) it's not really perceptible at all (I'm still running because I am trying to correct my stride and fix this problem; it's only in my right knee because of improper running technique).

However, what doesn't go away at all is my knee click! It is a click of my knee cap flicking into place when I either squat down or extend the leg (weighted or not). It never locks or anything or hurts or swells but I can feel it click in and it is fairly loud. An MRI said that my knee is fine. There was some fluid around it (as we all have, I suppose), but nothing, the sports physician said, inconsistent with my age (28). Clinically, any wear on my knee is consistently supposedly with my age (we're all getting older, I guess).

This doc, plus two orthopoedics said that the click is not a concern. A big time running physical therapist told me that it is not a concern. However, the chondro has made it worse. Is it being caused by improperly-placed synovial fluid in the joint? Will this ever go away? I mean, if I took a month off, would it go away? It would be very nice to not have it there because while it's there I always feel that the knee is not 100%.

Thanks!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Is it possible to fix my knee to stop it clicking?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:32:28 PM »
Because of your chondro and you say it yourself that your knee isn't 100% ok, maybe your knee will continue be irritated and therefor have more fluid. Running isn't really the best option for a irritated knee and maybe it's just that simple that your knee can't take the running.
Have you always been a runner or have you exercised and doing sports in other ways ?
What does the docs and phys say about running ?
Clicking is very common even loud clicks and are they without any pain there's nothing to worry about..most people live with that and do never develop a kneeproblem out of it.
But I can agree they aren't so nice to hear.
Maybe it's time to find another sport to continue with instead.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline poisson

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • The "less than young" petit poisson rouge
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »
The click may be coming from tendons or ligaments catching and then freeing or from some minor misalignment when you fully flex or extend the knee.  If it gets worse when your chondromalacia flares up it may be some minor irregularity in the retropatellar cartilage. Did the click only start after you got chondromalacia? - if so it's probably related to that
If your MRI is ok and you have no pain, swelling or locking, doesn't sound if it is a major problem, but I'm not sure if you shouldn't stop the running for a decent period and try and get the chondromalacia to settle properly. I had retropatellar pain 5 years ago (after running with wrong technique - long story, I'm not a runner but got conned into a relay for charity) and it took 6 months to settle. I still have clicks in both knees (even before I wrecked the right at Xmas) but the clicks don't cause me any probs
 :D
torn ACL and post horn med meniscus Dec 05 - ski accident
Bone bruise femur
Menisectomy Jan 06
Hamstring repair 03 June 06
Skied again March 18th 07 - hooray!

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 02:55:04 PM »
I've always been active, doing running on and off. It's generally hurt a little but but I think it was bad technique related. I am fastidious about my logging of things now but unfortunately I can't say with certainty when the clicking began. I know it was at least "some months ago". It's only in my bad knee, which inclines me to believe the increase in running played a role.

I can't say it gets worse when the chondro is around, either. After a week of not running, my knee is 99%--no pain, just a bit of a tightness, but the click is ever-present and doesn't seem to diminish. I do wonder if it would with a month off, but I really like my cardio. Taking that time off is likely prudent but I'm still trying to see if I can sort the running out such that it's painfree. I am hopeful I can get to that point and have had some good progress recently, I think.

12 years ago I smacked my knee nicely in gym class and had only an xray at the time, plus was told to ice it and all that. After several days or a week or two (I can't remember because I was 16) it was good enough that I was back into the weight room and doinng running, biking, squats, etc. without a problem. I always wonder what that actually did to my knee, but since the recent MRI was clean (with exception of a "medial meniscus tear" that two orthopedic surgeons said was likely not a tear at all, since I present with no clinical problems at all and have no symptoms--and believe me, I've checked on that, too!; essentially they dismissed the radiologist's impression as wrong)) I suppose that no long-term damage occured back then.

Offline poisson

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • The "less than young" petit poisson rouge
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 03:03:17 PM »
For me when I got the episode of chondro, it took a long time to settle - but then I wasn't a keen runner. Maybe you could keep up the cardio with biking or some other alternative which would decrease the impact load on your knee - I know I could bike a lot easier than jog when my knees were bad. And for me the pain went but the clicking remained - so if it is the click that is the problem I'm not sure that it will settle down anyway.
torn ACL and post horn med meniscus Dec 05 - ski accident
Bone bruise femur
Menisectomy Jan 06
Hamstring repair 03 June 06
Skied again March 18th 07 - hooray!

Offline ALRunner

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 03:13:21 PM »
For me when I got the episode of chondro, it took a long time to settle - but then I wasn't a keen runner. Maybe you could keep up the cardio with biking or some other alternative which would decrease the impact load on your knee - I know I could bike a lot easier than jog when my knees were bad. And for me the pain went but the clicking remained - so if it is the click that is the problem I'm not sure that it will settle down anyway.
So the clicking came on when the chondro came on but has never gone away? That kind of sucks! Oh well...I have actually cut running back a lot and taken up triathlon because that sport is much easier on the body. Cycling does hurt my knee a bit, but that's beacuse it's not 100% and I can still put out a pretty serious ride without much pain.

support