Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hi Im new and having surgery next week...  (Read 1124 times)

Offline gilliegrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi Im new and having surgery next week...
« on: May 16, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »
This is all happening too fast for me.  I had terrible knee pain and couldnt walk, to make this brief, Ive had the MRI and now Im going in for an Artrhoscope and synovial biopsy,  I think the phrase synovial biopsy isnt correct because I had that in the office to rule out gout.  However I have some growth that they want to remove.  Im reading the radiologists report and its making nervous.  Thinks like
Moderite sized joint effusion, most likely represnet thrombus.  Pignmented  villonodular synovitis, politeal cyst extension, complex ganglion cyst, subcortical osteonecrosis.  Help!!!  Any feedback is appreciatead.

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Re: Hi Im new and having surgery next week...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 08:45:38 PM »
Good luck with the scope.  I've had 7, 8 on Friday and it's not that bad of a procedure.  I never had the biopsy performed so I can't help you there.  As far as your MRI, the only thing I would know is that effusion is just swelling, pretty sure on that one.  I had a pop. cyst as well.  They never did anything for it.  I think it's like a Baker's cyst, not positive though,  Sorry I can't be much help, but good luck and welcome to the board.

Kris 
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline gilliegrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 09:06:07 PM »
Thanks Kris
Im pretty optimistic about it all, just feeling rushed.  I saw the MRI's and the growth was about a quarter size so I will be relieved to find out what it is and to get rid of this pain.  Were you able to move around right away?

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 03:27:40 AM »
Well, it depends on the doctor and the procedure.  My brother had just a scope and walked out of the surgical center several hours later.  I had a Lateral Release with several of mine and was put in a straight leg brace which didn't allow me to move for several weeks.  I had 2 scopes just by themselves and I was ordered to use crutches for definitely a day and then start applying weight when able.  Three days later I was walking with my full weight and no crutches.  You're having a procedure I'm not familiar with so it will probably be different than what I had.  I have my next surgery Friday and I don't know what they are going to do.  It could be scope, it could be an open procedure.  They will not know until they go in first with the scope.  They will decide while I'm sleeping.  I won't know until I wake up from my little nap.  I don't even know if I'll be staying overnight or not.  I wish you luck on your surgery.  You'll do fine.  You might want to stock up on some good reading materials and ice before hand just in case.  My friends always remind me that ice is my friend after surgery.  It will never leave your side.  :)

Kris

Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline gilliegrl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 08:38:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice and I totally forgot about icing the knee.  After reading the radiologist report Im guessing that they will remove the one blood clot and who knows about the bakers cyst.  Anyway, Im anxious to talk to the anethesiologist.  I think Id prefer an epidural over being put out cold.