Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Horse riding accident.. :( Tonight  (Read 12605 times)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Horse riding accident.. :( Tonight
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2006, 05:55:15 PM »
Well, when I asked my OS about getting a leg over my horse again, he just kind of rolled his eyes and gave me that "you know the answer to that " look. One step at a time, I have to be able to start walking again before I can start riding ... so that's the first step. Just now , walking around the house in the day leaves me in agony and swollen like nothing else. But he thinks that once we get it braced and stop continuosly injuring and agravating the ACL life will be a little better. and I can start walking again. My Thigh muscles have completely shut down at current so it's going to take some time.
Thanks Donna. :)
Hugs
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • On the mend
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2006, 06:38:36 PM »
Of course there aren't too many horses you can trust to baby sit either.  Sorry, I don't mean to rush your recovery.  I know it's hard to lose horse time.  I haven't even begun my surgery or rehab, and I'm already missing the horses.   My youngster was rearing on Sunday, so he's out of favor!  donna
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2006, 06:43:33 PM »
uh oh.. rearing horses.. yikes... well my horse is quite the babysitter really... but it's the whole getting on thing and i'm terrirfied that if he pulls away or something when i'm leading him i'll be in BIG trouble... so i'm not sure what will happen.. One step at a time...
Thanks for your words though, it's really nice having horsey people to talk to. :)
Hugs
Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2006, 06:59:53 PM »
Besides the horsey issue, you're farming/ranching chores sound immense.  Must admit 200acres and 40+ sounds romantic and independent, but it must be more work than I can imagine.  I'm just a teacher in Los Angeles, and my summer school program is independent study.  So I see one student at a time.  Mine is a rehab type of job!   If I can't make it, I'm old enough to retire (59), but I want to work another year to make more $ for retirement at 60.  I'll really want to work, if I can't go ride!!! 
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2006, 11:20:56 AM »
Hey Donna, well we haven't taken over the farm just yet, but have agreed to do the first cut of hay, to make it easier on the 60 something farmer. So.. it complicates things as we currently live 2 hours north/east of hte farm. :P Ugh... this is gonna be fun...
WE've both worked on many farms are very in love with teh work hard, sleep well be happy life it provides. :)
Ack, I wish I could go back and change the way I fell off my horse though... sigh..
ohwell whats done is done and i've made my bed and now I have ot lie in it. :) he he he...
Take care
Linds :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2006, 12:52:00 PM »
Linds ~ I was lucky in that I damaged my right knee so getting back on my horses was less of an issue than you'd have with your left knee in trouble. If you have a reliable honest horse any chance of mounting from the right side? Even using a mounting block?

I could stand on my bad knee & mount easily enough from the near side just being careful not to twist my knee as I was swinging my leg over the saddle. And instead of dismounting in the conventional way, I swing my right leg over the pommel of the saddle, slip my left leg out of the stirrup & dismount with my back to my horse landing on my good leg.

The joy of being back on my horse dispelled any fears of further injuring my leg. And I found that the saddle provided a brace of sort for me. Only a great deal of posting at the trot proved to be uncomfortable.

Hoping you can get riding again soon...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2006, 01:12:26 PM »
Good advice, Audice.  I'm lucky that my surgery will be on my right knee.  I'm also lucky that my ponies are only 14+ H.  Not so lucky that the 5 year old has taken to rearing instead of going forward.  I'm afraid of him right now.
Hey, Linney, can you post photos of the farm?  My grandpa retired to Nova Scotia, and I never met him before he died.  I'd love to see the land.  Sounds like you have too much on your plate right now to take up photography as a hobby, but I'd be interested to see any pictures that you might have.  Hope that knee feels better with the brace!  donna
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2006, 01:38:26 PM »
Thanks Ladies,
I can actually mount my beast from the right side. It's something we worked on plenty when I had the LR surgery on my left knee, only 22 months ago.  He's very quiet and he'll stand... it's just that right now i'm in quite a bit of pain and discomfort and can't even think about getting back on.. just yet. But hopefullly it won't be too long.

Donna, I will post some pics of the farm, when I get back to my home in Springhill... right now i'm at my Mom and Dads. :)

Take care
and Thanks
Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2006, 03:21:32 PM »
Good on you for being ambidexterous about mounting.  I'm too mentally challenged to physically do that.  I can't even turn my horses counter clockwise in crossties.  I'll look forward to those pictures!  donna
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2006, 05:57:42 PM »
When I was small, my riding teacher taught us all to mount both sides. and when I was training young horses we always mounted both sides.. just to change things up a little. It is hard though.. kind of like writing with your non dominant hand. But once you figure it out. it's not too bad. :)

1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline rouellon

• Regular Poster
  • I can see the light at the end of the tunnel NOW!
    • All about me!
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2006, 06:35:49 PM »
I too have a horse and I didn't even think of the getting on part!  Ug I am going to have to get my trainer to start working on mounting her from the right side since she is only three I want her to be very comfortable with it b/f I get on!
May 7-  Fell off ATV, diagnosed with medial TPF of the left knee
May 9- Saw OS 1st time aspirated knee (what releaf!)
May 16- Saw OS X ray taken Told up to 12 weeks NWB and 4 months bf I can be on horse again
May 23- Saw OS X ray again NC
June 12- Bone gowth PWB and Bike exercise

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2006, 06:47:19 PM »
And let's not forget about getting off and landing on the ground!  I don't trust my 5 year old most of the time, so good luck with a 3 year old.  A few years ago I had a bulging disc, and my GP actually came to ride my horses for me.  He's no longer interested in doing that.  Darn.  Just being around horses and the uneven footing will be challenge enough for some of us ;)
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2006, 07:15:09 PM »
yeah it really is scary what we take for granted isn't it. Fortunately my husband is pretty great... I know when I start to ride again he'll be there to help me get on and definately to help me get off... without hurting myself too much. But right now I just can't see that being anytime in the NEAR future.

Ps I am glad my horse is 18.. not 3.. yipes

Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline ruthpan29

• Regular Poster
  • 24 yr old ditzy gal
    • All about my torn ligament and folded meniscus
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2006, 07:51:15 PM »
Hey Linds,
had a look at your site and pics... it's amazing to see your farm and horse for a city gal like me  ;D
I hope you get better with your knee probs soon and ride your way above it!
 :D
Ruth
Complete ACL tear and bucket handle tear - 23/03/06
Meniscus repair 31/3/06
ACL allograft - 8/5/06
http://2btorn.blogspot.com

Offline rouellon

• Regular Poster
  • I can see the light at the end of the tunnel NOW!
    • All about me!
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2006, 05:03:40 AM »
The getting off part I figured I would just land with the weight on the good leg (strained some muscles about a month bf the break and thats what I did untill it got better).  Thankfully for a 3 year old she has the BEST personality and temperment!  She still has yet to buck or rear under saddle and she has approx. 30-40 rides under her and I have had her since she was a yearling.  Ug you should see the before and after pictures  :D  It's like she is a different horse now.... 

She really is like my first born  ;) as many of you most likely experience yourself, I just can not stop talking about her.  Although my first born is almost 3 months now  :)  Which means when Alexandrea is able to ride she can jump on Dutchess (if she is not being shown professionally)

Sorry for the ramble...

Take care!
May 7-  Fell off ATV, diagnosed with medial TPF of the left knee
May 9- Saw OS 1st time aspirated knee (what releaf!)
May 16- Saw OS X ray taken Told up to 12 weeks NWB and 4 months bf I can be on horse again
May 23- Saw OS X ray again NC
June 12- Bone gowth PWB and Bike exercise

support