Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Horse riding accident.. :( Tonight  (Read 12476 times)

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Horse riding accident.. :( Tonight
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 03:16:20 PM »
Well My Os emailed me this morning and said to call the office tommorow morning to see if the can squeeze me in to see him.  It means another trip all the way back to Halifax but it makes more sense than just a GP at the outpatients here I think.  I'm too afraid to do much with it until it's looked at and i'm given the okay, after the painful weekend.. so... that's where it stands.

Hop-skip-n-jump.. My horse is fine, thanks for asking. I crashed, he was fine. Just stood there looking at me wondering what I was doing on the ground. He was a good boy even let me pull myself up with his reins. :)

Goodluck with your surgery Donnawanna...I hope it helps. It's no fun, no matter what age you are having knee pain all the time. :)

Thanks guys
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • On the mend
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 04:11:08 PM »
Forgive me for not asking about your horse, especially after the bad accident at the Preakness.  Hope you have someone to care for him while you're down.  I've tentatively hired a teenager to ride both of mine for a month following surgery.  She'll be under the watchful eyes of my trainers.  You've got an incredible amount of land, etc to care for!  donna
Hyperextended knee at the dog park '03.  Two cortisone shots
GP diagnosed arthritis
'06 referral to OS, more xrays and MRI (meniscus tear possible)
June 22 scope, shave meniscus tear and bone spur and open LR.

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 05:31:45 PM »
Thanks Donna,

Sounds like you are all set up for your horses. :)
I have  my horse at a neighbors house, for now.. until we move to the farm in July, and she has been taking great care of him. Unfortunately he's not getting enough work these days.  The nieghbors daughters ride, and would ride him, but I have to be down there, because they are only 8 and 12.. and their Mom doesn't know much about riding. Only about slinging hay and lugging water. 

So, he'll just have to have a vacation. Maybe once i'm getting around a little better, then I can go sit down in the riding ring while the girls ride him.

What kind of horses do you have?

My boy is a Percheron/Arabian Cross. :)
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 06:50:23 PM »
Now that's a cross!  One of mine is a Connemara/TB, and the other is a Belgian/mutt.  My last horse was a big Westphalian (RIP), and now I'm riding ponies so I don't have as far to fall.  Haven't shown in a dozen years (no money).  Gotta love the horse community taking care of each other :)
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 09:12:44 PM »
Your horses sound lovely. :) I love crosses and especially draft crosses. :) I'm looking right now at a 3/4 Quarter horse/1/4 Belgian Cross.. he's adorable. Because my horse is 18.. so it's time to start bringing along a youngin'.

The horse community does take care of eachother.  ;D

Take care

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 01:07:27 AM »
You're as hopeless as I am about the horses!  My Belgian is allegedly crossed with TB and QH, but the vet looks at him and says he's just a pasture bred mutt.  He's 5.  The Connemara is 11, and she's been nursing a groin pull for almost a year. The ponies are certainly a reason for us to mend and heal!  Were you able to get an appointment with your OS?  I'm going to a doctor Wednesday to start the cookie diet.  I've known people that have lost 30-40 pounds in 2 to 3 months on this diet.  Seems like a good idea for me preop and rehab ;D
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 04:24:54 AM »
I have to call my OS 's office or him, in the morning.  I imagine they'll fit me on Thursday morning. I am hoping he'll call in a script for T3's for me, as the Tylenol/Advil combination i'm taking doesn't seem to be helping me anymore.

Your horses sound lovely. :) I can't imagine life without my big guy.. :)

The Cookie diet? i haven't heard of that one.. sounds promising.. lol. :)  My Dad swears by the Atkins diet... when you do it the right way. :)

i'll keep you posted. :) Goodluck

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 01:08:38 PM »
I just bought an Opti Ice Cold Therapy machine on eBay.  It claims to circulate cold water for 12 hours.  That sounds like a grand way to spend July.  I'll probably share it with horsey friends.   Hope your appointment goes well and that you get some new meds!
GP diagnosed arthritis

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 12:58:28 AM »
I have a Breg Polar Care cold therapy unit for my knee... is that like what you bought? I LOVE mine.. couldn't have made it through my surgeries without it!!

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 01:25:18 PM »
Linds,

Congratulations on the new farm - is it in Ontario?  Just wondering as I recall you mentioned moving there, I think....
Hope you feel better soon.

Donna,

Read up on those ice machines - 12hrs sounds great!!

http://www.medco-school.com/Supply/Product.asp?Leaf_Id=13030

The opti-ice units sound great!!  I've never heard of them before - I've got a Aircast cryocuff unit and it's been really great.  Makes icing alot easier.....

Linds let us know how everything goes.

July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 02:57:41 PM »
Hey

Well, I decided not to make the 4 hour round trip to Halifax to see my OS just yet. Instead I paged him and he called me this morning.  He thinks i'm doing a fine job taking care of myself... and suggested that next time we are in Halifax to let him know and he'll meet me at the clinic and just take a good look at it.  HE thinks that i've injured some ligaments from my description of what happened and how things feel now. 
So that's the news there... we spent more time talking about Barbaro the race horse that broke his leg and his chances then.. anything else.. he wanted to know what I thought about the horses chances for recovery.

Shade... we decided to stay in Nova Scotia. The job we got offered seemed to become too good to be true, after much talk and investigation.  The farm is near Windsor NS. We will be moving there mid July. :) So exciting.. MUST GET BETTER.

Unfortunately, I spent much time preparing to compete with my horse this summer, and now it seems that I may not get to many shows. :(

FREAKIN' Knee...

Oh well, it was still nice spending all the time with my horse. I miss him so much not being able to walk down to see him everyday.

Thanks for your thoughts, and i'm hoping this thing is gonna start to heal up soon.

Hugs

Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 02:07:36 PM »
Linds, it's great that you can have this good contact and feedback from your doc without travel to him.
I know you miss being with your horse and I'm sorry to hear that you have worked with him so much and now this. But Linds you are a tough girl and who knows maybe this is solved quicker then you know. I hope you can compete this summer.
Great that you can stay and don't need to move that long.
Wish you all the best as usual.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline shade

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • An obstacle is often a stepping stone.
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006, 02:20:14 PM »
Linds,

Hey that is great about moving into an area where you will at least be quite familar with and it's closer to Halifax by looking at a map.  Sounds good....

Hopefully your surgeon will be able to help you out, if it's necessary.

July '05 (RK) - LR/debridement
Mar '06 (RK) - Open LR + Allograft w/OBI TruFit Plug + Fulkerson TTT
 Feb '07 (LK) - LR + Fulkerson TTT

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 02:50:03 PM »
Thanks Ladies,

Yeah Windsor is only about 45 minutes outside of the city.. so it's really great .. ;D

I'm sure things will get sorted out eventually, i'm very lucky to have an OS in the family.. even though I have my issues with him.. to be able to just give him a call and chat about some of this stuff.

Atleast for the moment... my new injuries take my mind off my old chronic issues... he he he.. of course my right knee is SCREAMING from having to support most of my weight.  so it's getting iced just as much as the injured one.

Thanks again
hugs
Linney
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2004 LR LK

Offline donnawanna

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • On the mend
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 05:16:32 PM »
Linds, you're just like a horse--- all treatment seems to be ice and rest with anti-inflamatants.  Somehow I imagined you to be near the other Halifax in UK.  Both areas look beautiful!  Glad you got a thumbs up for your self care.
GP diagnosed arthritis