Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: older ACL-reconstruction patient on this board -- an article for you  (Read 935 times)

Offline emphatic

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
There is a poster on here, age in the mid to late 60s as I recall, who has an ACL tear and meniscus tear. I remember reading this person was quite active and distressed that their doctor refused to reconstruct the torn ACL due to age. I don't remember who the poster was, unfortunately.

I came across this article on a cool site (Ortho SuperSite) and thought it might be of interest... and if you're still wanting to fight for the ACL reconstruction, this article might help you convince your (or another) doctor.

http://www.orthosupersite.com/default.asp?page=view&rid=17195

I believe you have to register to get on the site, but it's free and no big deal.

Hope this helps!

Meg

Offline Audice

• Global Moderator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: older ACL-reconstruction patient on this board -- an article for you
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 11:29:46 AM »
Hi Meg ~ Perhaps I'm the person to whom you're referring. I'm 68 & off to see the website you've listed.

I do have an OS acquaintance who is considered one of the Top Docs here in CT & I suspect if I really appealed to him, he'd do a reconstruction. He alluded to the fact last year that if I were in trouble he'd do what he could to help.

I have to wonder if most people my age don't have a considerable amount of arthritis in their knees already which would preclude reconstruction & so consider knee replacement instead. At this point I'm told I don't have a lot & I do get along quite nicely w/o an ACL. I'm careful but I do everything I ever did. I think it was more a blow to my ego when I was told people my age don't have ACLR.

Thanks for the website...Ellie 
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: older ACL-reconstruction patient on this board -- an article for you
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 03:16:33 PM »
good article meg, thanks for posting it.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.