Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Replacement  (Read 1062 times)

Offline indymaggie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Replacement
« on: July 19, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »
I wanted to know the average age for knee replacements. I am only 26. I know that most of the cartilage is already gone from looking at my xrays. I don't go back to see my doctor until August 3. I also have a genetic bone disease, Multiple Hereditary Exostoses, which makes thinks worse. I am worried about the outcome of all this. I have a very physically active job, I work in cancer research doing specimen collection and I am in school to be an RN. How would this work if I had to have a knee replacement?

Offline mineemowse

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee Replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:13:39 PM »
Hi Maggie--

I'm afraid I'm no expert on knee replacements, but I do know that ideally an OS wants the patient to be much older than you are prior to doing that kind of surgery. I am 45 and need a new knee in less than two years. As dr. says that's just too young, am having an OATS allograft procedure in Sept. to buy some time. In your case, with your other issues, perhaps that will make a difference on the age thing - I don't know.

Good Luck to you, Maggie, in both your education and your knee!

Donna
'98 torn meniscus
'99 arthriscopy repair
'02 cartilidge replacement injections
July '06 arthriscopy cleanup
Oct. '06 Oats Allograft procedure (failed)
May '07 arthriscopy cleanup
Dec. 3 '07 - TKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »
Actually if you are in pain and you have tried everything that you can do to try to stop the pain.  Find a doctor who will work with you on getting the pain relief you need.  Ask your doctor if an HTO would help you. Ask your doctor if  ACI would help you.   Ask your doctor if orthovisc shots will help you? Ask your doctor if an unloader brace will help you.   Ask your doctor if you can get a partial knee replacement?   Ask your doctor about pain medication?   Ask your doctor about PT ?   

Go to the stryker knee replacement site.   If you are in that much pain wouldnt you want a doctor who would be on your side to give you 10 -15 years of a pain free life now while you are young? and worry about a revision when its time for a revision if you have your knee replaced? 

Right now I am pre knee replacement and sure I want to prolong the operation as long as I can but I see daily the things I can not do.  Or avoid things that give me pain   I hate it I hate it . but In the end I will have my knee replaced because I can t live like a hermit much longer.  Nor  do I want to put myself in pain  Nor do I find it exceptable to give up not being able to do things at my age .. I may be a bit older than you but  They even tell 50 year olds that they are too young.   This is a decision you have to make.. If you feel your life will be better and in less pain with a knee replacement .. Please find a doctor who will listen to your needs and wishes and look at you who is someone who can not simply give up on life due to being in pain. ..

Offline Linda M.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 07:54:09 PM »
I'm 59 and had my total knee replacement last year at 58.  I'm considered young.  All cartiledge was gone and it was extremely painful to walk.  I guess I'm lucky my HMO took me, although I was very persistent.

I'm sorry you're so young with so much pain.  I wish you luck!

Linda M.

support