Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 1st Hyalgan Injection Tomorrow  (Read 3559 times)

Offline dmturner

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
1st Hyalgan Injection Tomorrow
« on: May 16, 2006, 02:10:46 AM »
I haven't posted in a while, but I now need some encouragement.  I'm started a series of five Hyalgan injections in the morning, and I'm pretty nervous about it.  I've been pretty depressed lately.  I feel as though my knee has been getting worse instead of better.  I had the hardware removed in February, and that did help some of my problems, but I'm still malaligned which is causing patelar pain as well as swelling on the inside of my knee.  My OS wants to try the injections to see if I get some relief with them, but if I don't, or if it doesn't last long enough, I'm looking at a Fulkerson TTT.  I've already had three surgeries in the last 20 months, and I'm so very tired of it all.  Anyway, I sure hope the shots work and that they don't hurt too bad and that my leg doesn't feel too bad after.  Thanks for listening.  Donna
9/04 L TPF Plate w/6 screws;
5/05 R Calcaneal Process Fracture Surgery;
2/06 L Hardware Removal & Patellar Debridement;
8/06 R Great Toe Fusion;
1/07 L TKR

Offline trio123

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 1st Hyalgan Injection Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 04:49:01 AM »
donna,
 i just wanted to say good luck tomorrow  hope they work for you.  I had the 5 shots of supartz in march and they didn't work for me.  Hopefully you will get great pain relief.  I have to say i was a little scared at the idea of having injections into my knee but it wasn't as bad a i thought it would be.  My doctor had his nurse do them and she numbed it up first, that was the only pain i felt.  Your knee feels a little full right after it but it goes away.  anyway just wanted to say good luck

christina

Offline KnowKnees

• Regular Poster
  • Too young for 2 total knees / revision
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 06:59:32 AM »
Donna,

Good luck tomorrow with the shots.  I have had several rounds of "rooster juice" in both of my knees.  I had synvisc as well as hyagalen.

The shots are not that bad, not nearly as painful as cortisone!   :'(  My OS was a pro with needles in the knee...

Now I do not think it is worth the time or the money to go another round.  My last series only lasted a month  I am just going to try and lose a little weight to see if that helps the bone on bone in my right knee.  Left knee is TKA already with revision. 

Keep your chin up.... :P

Michale
Knowknees - Left TKR (2005) and Left revision one year later (2006), Right knee - medial menisectomy (1977), arthroscope (2003), Right TKA scheduled November 2006

Offline dmturner

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:15:56 AM »
Thanks so much for responding.  Well, I had the shot this morning, and it really wasn't that bad.  I thought my OS would numb the area, but he said it wasn't necessary, so then I was really nervous.  He was right though, and the shot was not terribly painful, just a bit uncomfortable.  Then he asked if I was still having pain on the inside of my knee.  I said "yes", and after examining the area, he said "Well, this is your lucky day--you get two shots."  The second shot was cortisone, and that one really hurt, lots worse than the hyalgan.

Tonight, my knee is sore but not terribly painful.  I'm going to ice before I go to bed though, and hopefully it won't be too bad in the morning.  I have to go to some training for my job tomorrow, so at least I'll be sitting all day. 

Take care.  Donna
9/04 L TPF Plate w/6 screws;
5/05 R Calcaneal Process Fracture Surgery;
2/06 L Hardware Removal & Patellar Debridement;
8/06 R Great Toe Fusion;
1/07 L TKR

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:31:54 PM »
wow that is almost like an injection coctail

Offline KnowKnees

• Regular Poster
  • Too young for 2 total knees / revision
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 04:25:32 AM »
Donna,

Now don't be a knucklehead and overdo it when your knee feels better! Ha! 

That's what I did.  Felt so great, I had a hey day....Baker's cyst as big as a grapefruit the next week...

Cortisone is a wonderful drug...but it gives a false sense of well being in the knees. 

I am glad to hear it wasn't as bad as you expected.

keep us posted.

Michale  :D
Knowknees - Left TKR (2005) and Left revision one year later (2006), Right knee - medial menisectomy (1977), arthroscope (2003), Right TKA scheduled November 2006

support