Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral Release - at a loss........................  (Read 2343 times)

Offline bobbiewinnard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral Release - at a loss........................
« on: May 15, 2006, 12:07:14 PM »
I had an LR two weeks ago and am still on crutches because it is so weak.  I have little pain until I try and lift it or walk (which is when I get pain in my hip from all the limping).

I am seeing my GP on Thursday but have not been told what therapy I should be doing or how I should be treating my knee.

I am at a total loss about what to do and am having to take a week off sick until I see my doc.

It does feel like to surgery has worked but whats with the weak dead leg?

Any help would be welcome.......................thanks.

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
Re: Lateral Release - at a loss........................
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:12:30 PM »
YOUR OS DIDNT WANT TO SEE YOU BACK??? I WOULD SEE YOUR OS AND START THERAPY RIGHT AWAY.  I WAS ON TWO CRUTCHES FOR THREE WEEKS.  A WEEK AFTER SURGERY I HAD A SUBLUX THO AND PUT ME BACK ON THEM.  IT ALSO LOCKED ON ME.  BE VERY CAREFUL WITH IT.  I WOULD MAKE AN APPT RIGHT AWAY WITH OS.  AND START PTHERAPY..  MY QUADS ARE STILL WEEK SIX WEEKS POST OP.  I JUST STARTED WORK LAST WEEK AND HAD ANOTHER SUBLUX FRIDAY. TAKE IT SLOW.  DO NOT OVER DO IT BEST ADVICE.  IF YOU FEEL YOU CAN GO DOWN TO ONE CRUTCH DO THAT BUT WAIT TO SEE WHAT YOUR OS SUGGESTS.  GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS .  MINE IS HEALING VERY SLOWLY

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 10:53:51 PM »
An LR litterary cuts/trims your quad tendon/muscle and it takes a long time for the trauma to go away and strenght to return.....try some straight leg raises and some quad tensing exersizes...it'll be a while before you're back to your old self and everbody heals at different speeds...so be patient, but make sure you ask your doc what he wants you to work on when you see him next...

Hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline MHillman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 01:14:38 AM »
To help your weak quads you must do lots of leg raises, tighten your quad muscle as often as you can.  Just get to the OS and start therapy right away.!!!

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 10:44:59 AM »
A LR isn't just an "ordinary" scope. Ligaments have been cut and cause internal bleeding/swelling in the knee, this must reabsorb and can taek some time. I started therapy 1 week post LR, was back working 5 weeks post surgery, full ROM but with weak quads. Do loads of SLRes, but only when your OS says you're allowed to do them, many OS believe in rest directly post LR.

Hope you feel  better soon

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline bobbiewinnard

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 01:53:08 PM »
I now have fluid on my knee.  It is really uncomfortable and I think I should have it drained.  I've not been able to contact my OS or his secretary but I am going to see my GP on Thursday, I will perhaps ask him to sort it.

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 02:47:44 PM »
I have fluid in mine still as well.  Continue to ice and elevate as much as possible.  Make an appt with os and set up for therapy. good luck

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 02:14:58 AM »
Just to let you know that i did ask my os today about the fluid it was a concern for me as well.  He told me it was perfectly normal and explained that there is a hole there now and causing the fluid.  so just rest and ice. 

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 11:19:02 PM »
Fluid on the knee can be common, but when you've had a surgery like lateral release, which is KNOWN for causing bleeding into the joint, any lumps of fluid or extreme swelling (in the shape of an egg, ping-pong ball, fluid pocket, etc.) should be checked out immediately.  If the fluid is blood, it should be removed from the joint to prevent irritation and internal scarring...and it is only possible to remove the blood with a needle when it is still liquid.  After a few days, it coagulates and can't be drawn out.  Then the knee joint has to absorb it over time, and this is a prolonged affair that can lead to self-perpetuating swelling, irritation, and even formation of excess scar tissue inside the joint. 

So it's a straightforward and even expected thing to have a hematoma (collection of bruising or bloody fluid), but straightforward is not the same as "nothing" and your OS should be given the opportunity to intervene while that is still possible--i.e., ASAP.  It could be nothing, but it should be checked out as a pro-active doctor will often want to do something about the fluid if it is blood.

Here's a blurb from Dr. Grelsamer's web page about this very topic--bleeding in the joint following lateral release:
The lateral release is said to be an "open" release when an incision is made at the lateral border of the patella. The incision is usually near the superior pole of the patella so as to directly visualize the supero-lateral geniculate vessels which located transversely across the incision at the level of the superior pole of the patella just deep to the retinaculum. These vessels are responsible for one of the more common peri-operative complications of this procedure which is a hemarthrosis (blood in the joint). The risk of a hemarthrosis can probably be decreased by direct visualization and cauterization of the vessels. Interestingly, a hemarthrosis can occur even with this approach. Presumably, vessels can go into spasm at the time of surgery - only to open up and bleed in the post-operative period. For this reason, it is not unreasonable to put a drain in the knee.

From http://www.kneehippain.com

If the collected fluid is blood and the OS doesn't want to drain it with a needle aspiration, then ask the PT or OS about using heat directly on the area of the collected blood--this will help keep it fluid and easier for your body to reabsorb.  Ice will make it congeal and slow circulation to the area--usually a good thing following surgery, but not what you want to do in the case of a collection of blood, as this slows your body's attempts to get circulation to the area and absorb that nasty stuff.

Good luck.  You can check out threads on hemarthrosis (blood in joint) after lateral release surgery by using Google and the Kneeguru advanced search feature.  It's not an emergency situation--on the contrary, it's almost expected after this procedure--but there are things you can do to make things more comfortable.  And you will want to pay particular attention during your rehab to making sure you get back full range of motion (flexion or bending and extension or straightening) as soon as possible.  Especially straightening the leg, as collected blood in the joint and the swelling surrounding it can create a physical barrier to getting the leg fully straight.  So extension exercises can help 'pump' the collected gunk out of there and keep you on track! 

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 11:56:56 PM »
heather just read lost post about the heat.  i  have a question cause im filled completely with fluid knee down to foot.  i saw os yesterday morning and he wasnt worried said was completely normal.  i have a "hole" there now and that whaere fluid coming from.  I had a sublux on friday and caused more fluid to come.  im icing and elevating icing not helping. i take a bath at night which seems to help me more. just wondering what you think i should do ice or heat???  i know your not a doc or anything but you seem to have some good advice on here. thanks!