Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACL was my nightmare... now i dont even think about it!  (Read 4406 times)

Offline johnsonk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL was my nightmare... now i dont even think about it!
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:48:07 AM »
Hi All

I haven’t checked this site in such a long time, and it actually feels good because i forgotten about this site and only because my knee hasn’t bothered my in such a long time...!!

So my story... or success story... I injured myself in Dec 2003 and had a arthroscopy in April 2004 and to wait till April 2005 for my ACLR operation... It was the ACLR where they took a bit of my hamstring out... not sure what the procedure is called anymore!
Luckily i had no complication, everything went well after the ACLR.

I lived in London at the time and I needed to travel with public transport all the time, buses and trains and tubes! So that wasn’t easy…!
I do remember how much pain i was in just after the op, and how little movement i had with my knee. I remember how i had to get use to life on crutches and how i had to adjust my entire life to go thru the rehab. Once a week I would go to the hospital to do whatever rehab exercises awaited me.
Luckily the hospital I went to was just a short walk from where I lived and they had a little ‘rehab gym’ that I would use… and there were always physio’s  around to assist with everything!

I could always feel a steady improvement in the strength and the movement in my leg… I was in rehab for a total of six months before they told me I didn’t need to come back… one of my happiest days was when I took the crutches back to the hospital… I had a such a big smile on my face because that was the day I had in my mind all along… I walked to hospital without crutches and I walked away knowing that I would be ok… that one day life would be normal again!!

Its been almost 3 years and I haven’t felt better… I run, I jog, I play sport and on the 22/03/2008 I will be doing the 2 Oceans marathon in Cape Town.

SO to anybody who’s just had there op or had it a few months ago… don’t give up, put in the hard work now and you will see the difference in the future… its VERY important that you stretch you leg and strengthen it also…

GOOD LUCK AND WELL DONE TO EVERYBODY…!

Offline lenorem9

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: ACL was my nightmare... now i dont even think about it!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:25:30 PM »
Thanks John,  It's nice to see the success stories!  I'm glad you did so well.  You're giving me hope! 

I'm sure your whole story is on here somewhere but why did you wait so long from injury to surgery?
07/07  Injured @ Taekwondo
11/07  ACL allograft, Posterolateral corner recon
01/09  Scope for scar tissue, notchplasty
02/09  Diagnosed w/arthrofibrosis/IPCS
04/09  Scope for scar tissue, lateral/medial release
05/09  MUA
11/09  Scope for scar tissue, chondroplasty
Learning to "live with it"

Offline chaos

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »
i am so happy for you.  all your hard work payed off.  good job!!
beauty always comes from within.  the outside doesn't matter.

Offline johnsonk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 06:49:41 AM »
Hi all

lenorem9... my name is Kurt JOHNSON... My user name is Johnsonk!

Anyways, I waited that long to go for my op because I was on the NHS waiting list in London. I didn’t have private health care because I was a South African living in London. I was kinda lucky because I only waited a year… normally its around  2 years!!

I would also love to see my earlier post… but like I said it was such a long time ago… easily 2 years ago…!

Good luck to you and EVERYBODY!!

It’s all about baby steps…!! Eventually it will turn to normal steps…

I read once that you only really healed when you don’t realise you walking normal… or if you don’t realise you climbing stairs like you use too… or if you don’t notice getting into a car…

As soon as you don’t notice that easy, normal, day-to-day task… as soon as these normal tasks become second nature again… that’s when you know your knee is back to ‘normal’ again…!

I wish everybody a speedy and happy recovery!! ;)