Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What Next?  (Read 1083 times)

Offline Andy_w

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
What Next?
« on: April 11, 2003, 08:26:55 PM »
2 months ago my knee went side ways while I was playing squash and together with the intensive pain I discovered that my knee had developed a mind of its own!  My Gp contacted a sports injury clinic and I was luck enough to have an arthroscopy because they thought a ripped or displaced cartilege was the problem.  The surgeons found a ruptured ACL and a physio gave me some excercises etc.
The medical people now think that the only option is to strengthen the knee with knee lifts etc, and there is no prospect of an ACL reconstruction.  I am an active person with an active(ish) job but can no longer play sports or excercise?  I am fast becoming a depressed alchoholic couch potato.....Is there a light at the end of the tunnel or should I bite the bullet & go private?

Offline KJ

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: What Next?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 10:32:32 PM »
Andy,
If you have completely ruptured your ACL and have ongoing instability there is no reason at all why you should not have your ACL reconstructed on the NHS.
The key is whether you have an unstable knee.
As a GP I think it would be ageist if you were not offered this if you have significant symptoms or if it is stopping you doing sports that you want.
(You don't mention  your age)
What reasons have they given for not even considering it?

Having said all that a large number of people will do very well with muscle strengthening to enhance the knee's stability and thereby avoid what is a long haul to fitness after significant surgery. The more twisting and cutting activities you want to do the more likely it will be difficult but many manage skiing and all sorts of things without an ACL.
2 months is still early days and you will get a lot more function over the next 3 months. If you still are limited despite good rehab I would go back to your  GP and ask for a referral to another knee surgeon.
BTW whhere are you based?
Don't get too depressed, whichever route you choose it will get significantly better than it is now.
KJ
ACL/PCL/MCL/PLC rupture April 01
diagnostic arthroscopy June 01
PCL reconstuction Sept 01;  MUA  Oct 01
ACL reconstruction Nov 01; arthroscopy Jan 03
HTO,posterolateral recon + ACL/PCL revision recons Sept 03;
MUA Jan 04
arthroscopic debridement of scartissue May 04
metalwork removal April 05

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2003, 02:48:15 AM »
Hi Andy

Sorry to hear about your predicatment.

Although I'm not an expert on the type of injury you have, I do not think that it is fair to offer you no real resolution to your injury.

Many consultant surgeon will leave a problem alone if it is not causing the patient too much trouble, but when it starts causing the patient to have problems with your daily living activities, the situation really should be taken more seriously.

I certain would hold fire going private at the moment, at least until you find out WHY an ACL reconstruction cannot be done, there may be a reason and by going privately you may be wasting your money or at best, being in a worse position than when you first went to the GP.

Best of luck & lets us know how you get on.
Iona x

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 96
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2003, 05:47:15 PM »
Hi
This article is a bit 'med-speak' but I think you will get the gist - an unstable knee with a torn ACL, if left to its own devices. is highly likely to get 'secondary' (i.e. coming on later as  the result of the initial or 'primary' damage) problems, such as torn meniscus or joint surface damage.
http://www.kneeclinic.com.au/papers/CruciateReconstruction.html
There is, on the other hand, no immediate urgency as operating too early can also cause complications, such as stiffness resulting from scarring if the op is done while there is active internal inflammation.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru