Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help and advice needed please - told I knee TKR at 35  (Read 4358 times)

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Help and advice needed please - told I knee TKR at 35
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 08:17:11 PM »
Lisa

I have read many of your posts, and I agree knee replacement is not to be taken lightly, I will only have a knee replacement as a last resort, and when I know I can no longer manage pain and I am at the point where I need a wheelchair to get around.  Is there any other procedure apart from a scope that can be done?

I am glad you are doing well now, and I hope you continue to get better.

All the best
Dee
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gimpy64

Thanks for your kind words!

You have done great to have held out this long, I hope I will be able to hold out as long as you!  I haven't had a cortisone shot yet, I don't think I could as I really hate needles.  I do have problems walking, stairs, shopping, etc., house work is a nightmare, my hubby does a lot of it for me, so that's good.

It is hard being so young and having to cope, I find it annoying when people say your to young to have arthritis, and then you have to explain things to them.

Thanks again for the advice

Dee Dee

*Severe Osteoarthritis, Left knee worn out
*I now need a Total Knee Replacement                             
*16/02/04 High Tibial Osteotomy
*14/11/05 Hardware removal plate and 4 screws
*Now suffers from leg length discrepancy of about an inch.
*15/10/08 Bad fall, ACL Tear & Baker's Cyst

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »
Hi pegleg78

That maybe a possibilty I can look into, I will ask my OS, I will have to ring him as I dont have another appointment date yet, or maybe ask my GP if this is possible, thanks for the suggestion.

How are you doing now with a PKR, is your pain gone?

Dee

Offline pegleg78

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • slow and steady wins the race.
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 09:09:48 PM »
Dee,

I am really glad I had the PKR done, I am really doing quite well. I am able to walk, swim and bike without pain. I haven't been able to do that for a while, so that is really nice!

It was a hard decision to make, but I am glad that I did.

99 ACL, med, lat men repair
00 Med menisectomy, lat men repair
01 med, lat meniscus transplant, ACL rev, LR
01 chrondroplasty, manip & debrid
02 med, lat partial menisectomy
03 Arthrotomy,  LOA, LR
05 chrondroplasty, lat men repair, shrink ACL
05  med menisectomy, chrondropla
05 med PKR

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 01:16:06 AM »
Dee,

You have had a rough go of it witht he leg deformity and arthritis since your teens.  I have a relative who is an OS and is very involved in working with athletes  (been to several olympics as OS) and in discussing knees he espoused the conventional wisdom of waiting as long as possible and then did say that the technology has improved and both knee and hips if done right are much more durable (, he has seen patients who had their TKR well over 15 years ago and are doing well.  OATS and ACI are great procedures for the right patient absolutely.  From my recent procedures, there have always been photos of the medial and lateral comparment so the state of the MFC and tibial plateau are readily visible in my case.  Do they provide you with this in England?  I am familiar with opening wedge HTOs and the literature regarding them.  In my work with spine patients I often recommended hydrotherapy , either floatation or just water based conditioning.  How does your knee jfunction in a low gravity environment such as that?  As an aside, my OS and I have discussed steriod injections but he wants me to essentially do nothing for at least 2 weeks after the injections and needless to say the potential benefits never seem great enough for me to do that, although I may have to try that in the near future.

Best of luck and hang in there, keep us posted and be well...........Jim
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 06:22:29 PM by soccerdoc »
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 01:38:32 AM »
I have considered the HTO surgery - But more and more I am leaning towards PKR.   And I will tell you why.   With the HTO iit is only unloading your weight and you may be balanced more. This can also be done with an unloader brace

If you want to think about the shock absorber you are missing when you are bone on bone you would be silly to think the HTO is your last operation. You would not be fully looking at the knee dynamics.. So than you are looking at ACI or OATS If you can get your insurance to approve it.

Personally I think its amazing to be able to use your own  soft-tissue  If you considered that at all.  -PLus the fact the period of non weight baring is very long as well.

I tell you a PKR that is done in an MIS fasion is starting to look more and more hunane to the soul

I  truelly believe there is less down time.. Less emotional baggage and a quicker healing period to get on with your life.

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 03:04:22 PM »
Knee Deep is right, the HTO is a temporizing measure for all practical purposes.  ACI and OATS really depend on the degree of damage , etc.  The unloader brace did a great job but in my case I was needing to wear it essentially all the time.  While I personally am hoping to get 9-10 years from the HTO, I have a friend who is quite active and is 19 yrears post-op.  He is not the most compliant person, but has refereed soccer at high levels for the past 10 plus years that I have known him without problems associated with the HTO.  He did have some patellar tendon issues.

These are not easy decisions, let me know if I can help with information.  Take care......Jim
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline DeeDee

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 04:39:47 PM »
Hi Knee Deep & Jim

I think you are both right as far as HTO goes, I think that if your arthritis is very advanced then it is not worth having and maybe a PKR would have been better in my case, although I still would have need realignment surgery anyway, as this may have keep me from needing a TKR.

my OS must have thought he was going the right way, and that is why he went for the HTO.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I am so glad I have you guys to talk to if I need help.

DeeDee