Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: req Some info about my knee and pain  (Read 1193 times)

Offline mlwood37

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
req Some info about my knee and pain
« on: April 11, 2003, 06:13:31 AM »
Im totaly new to this  type of forum and its use so plz bare with me.

Simptoms -

My knees crack a hell of a alot causeing me diffrent ammounts of pain at diffrent times.

Some times the both swell up and cause alot of pain and some times there just painfull when i get out of bed after a good nights rest .

There doesnt seem to be a pertical event that cause's the pain or i dont need to be doing any thing to make it come on.

I have been to my local doctor who has refurred me to a phiso (excuse spelling) - anyhow she gave me some acupunture in my knees wich seemed to work for approx 3-4 days then the next night my knees where in more pain than before i had the acupunture.

Its now getting to the point of where i cannot sleep at night due to the pain.

i was told by the doctor it was waere and tear allso the phiso said this as well - they allso said there wasnt much they could do about this .

Im 31 years old and was wondering if any one has had the same problems with there knees and what they did about it to stop the pain.

I own a mountain bike and bike my kids to school alot and allso travil around alot on it - allso my job involes me on my knees alot installing pcs.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2003, 06:14:10 AM by mlwood37 »

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
Re: req Some info about my knee and pain
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 11:34:24 AM »
Have you seen an OS at all about you knees? I dont think a GP or physio should be telling you that there is nothing that can be done. There are things that can be done, but the first step is to see an expert. If you havent seen an OS, please do. Have you had any X-rays, or an MRI scan? These would help in a diagnosis.
The physio should also give you exercises to help strenghten the quad muscles to give more control of the knee. I had some acupuncture when my knee problems started - to help bring down the swelling. This didnt work for me.
My advice would be to go back to your GP and get referred to an OS. Knees are really important, and if your GP had the symptoms you are having, I'm sure s/he would go see an expert.
Good luck
Ros
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline mlwood37

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 02:02:37 PM »
im sorry i dont know what a Os is ?

- im due to see the phiso again in the next 5 days- i havent had any  X-rays, or an MRI scan but i think ill be asking for one after your advise - the physio hasnt given me any advise about excersie at all.

Offline Rosa

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 03:56:44 PM »
Hello again,
an OS is an orthapeadic surgeon. Your GP should be able to refer you to one. I'm surprised they havent already, as you appear to be in quite some pain at times - and the swelling is a reaction to something which needs to be checked out. I think you should go back to the doctor and make sure s/he knows that you are not prepared to just live with it (& you shouldnt have to). See if your GP can arrange for an X-ray before seeing the OS - then he will have it by the time of your appt. Also, ask your physio about exercises next time you go - it may be that she thinks it isnt appropriate for your case, but it is worth checking out.
Good luck, & let us know how you get on
06/01 'scope rk: patellar shaving, synovial biopsy. 09/02 'scope rk: patellar shaving, suprapatellar plica, adhesions, LR, debridement, partial synovectomy. Swelling & seronegative monoarthritis.

Offline Rich_NYC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 06:50:55 PM »
Hi
Swelling and significant pain indicate something is definitely wrong.  Wear and tear can , unfortunately, mean a lot of things such as arthritis.  See an OS to be sure of what is going on, knees are an important and complex joint, don't take chances.  Good luck, I am hoping it is nothing serious.
Rich
scope to repair 2 meniscal tears (didn't help the pain]; post-patellar osteoarthritis

Offline mlwood37

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2003, 03:26:50 PM »
Thank you for your help ill let you know how things go.

support