Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Celinenj03 ACLR Allograft Post Op Diary  (Read 33459 times)

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Celinenj03 ACLR Allograft Post Op Diary
« on: May 05, 2006, 07:37:19 PM »
Okay, I'm going to be brief but right to the point as I don't have a laptop and I'm propping my leg.

I had ACL reconstructive surgery on Weds. 5/3.

I'm at 0 degrees extension and 50 degrees flexion today.

Taking 2,400 mg. Motrin daily

Icing every moment I can and using CPM machine

Pain is very very minimal. Have some throbbing and bubbling feeling in the leg but nothing major. Swelling is under control. I'm off my feet non weight bearing until 5/12.

Doc sent me home with ice pack balloon wrapped around my knee between dressings so it really works to keep the leg cold.

Oh, and I'm doing my quad sets and streching and straight leg raises. The SLR's are tough right now and I'm working my way, starting very slowly.

I'm eating healthy and drinking lots of water.

I love the CPM machine it is so relaxing, puts me to sleep!

Mom is here taking care of my 2 kids, thank God for her.

Getting back and forth to bathroom is biggest challenge just because leg is locked in brace (girls will know what I mean, guys... well.... you're just darn LUCKY :))

Okay, I'll write more later...

Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline dmcronin

• Forum Faithful
  • No Man Is Immune
    • My Blog
Re: Celinenj03 ACLR Allograft Post Op Diary
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 01:14:19 AM »
God Bless, heal well, and thanks for your early response to my posting.

Offline allstardiva2005

• Forum Faithful
    • Behind the Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 09:26:20 PM »
I had an Allograft ACL Revision on May 3rd, so I'm almost in the same boat as you. Getting bored with bed rest yet? I've been watching Season 4 of 24 on DVD in between my PT exercises!

- Christy
Medial Meniscus Repair- '00,03
Partial Meniscectomy- '03, '04
ACL Reconstruction- '02
Exploratory Scope- '05
Allograft ACL Revision & Neuroma Excision- '06
Hardware Removal & Bone Filing- '06
Scar Tissue Removel- '07

** Medial meniscus transplant is in the near future... **

Offline dmcronin

• Forum Faithful
  • No Man Is Immune
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 08:36:32 PM »
Well? Update please, Celinenj03...

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 10:15:54 PM »
Ha.Ha. I checked your site today too for an update...

Okay, here I am, still keeping the leg elevated. Now, I know I can put weight on it and no pain, but I am trying to be good girl and listen to doc. I am only putting a bit every so often just to really get the foot stretched flat on the floor, etc.

ROM is 0 extension and up to 75 on CPM. I started at 30 and added 10 degrees each day. Today, I got a little impatient and went for 5 more degrees. Knee is a little stiff, but I know there is still fluid and such in there. I can really feel the CPM machine working all that out and it's great.

I am icing an hour, rest, then CPM, then ice, then rest, then CPM, etc. I don't CPM right after icing cause I feel the muscles are cold, so I let them get back down to room temp ;)

Still taking the Motrin 2,400 mg. per day, always WITH a meal so my stomach has been fine.

Pain level is about a 1 and has been since surgery so I'm not sure what I'm in for when I start PT, I feel like it will make up for it then. We shall see...

I am a little frustrated because I have to sit back and watch as my mom and husband scramble around and try to get stuff done and control the little ones. This morning I combed my little girl's hair to get the knots out from the week! Took me about an hour with the no more tangles stuff. But at least it's something I can still do for her. Also, got her dressed. I try to use this time to read to my kids and do the things I didn't take the time to do with them as much before, but I so look forward to getting back into the action with them.

That's really it for now. I go for PT evaluation tomorrow. They will only take measurements. Formal PT will not start for me until next week, but I am doing the following at home about every other hour.

Ankle Pumps - 20 times

Quad Sets - 3 sets of 15 (no real pain)

Hamstring Stretches - these feel great.

Propping my ankle on pillow and letting my leg hang for extension for 20 minutes 3x a day.

Some Straight Leg Raises when I can do them without straining too much.

The reason I'm holding off on the straight leg raises is last time I did them too soon and caused fluid to back up in my suprapatellar pouch and it had to be drained OUCH. So I'm really letting my pain be the guide on it this time.

The most annoying thing to date is, sometimes I feel like my leg is being pulled from the hip joint and I don't know if that might be from all the bending done in surgery. Not painful just very uncomfortable.

OS said he'll have me walking on my leg Friday, May 12th when I get my stitches out, so we'll see....

All the best to you guys too! I look forward to your updates as well.

By the way I've watched 7 movies so far, more than I watched in the past year!!!!

Offline dmcronin

• Forum Faithful
  • No Man Is Immune
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 02:30:24 AM »
Good update; it sounds like you are behaving and not cheating with exercises.

Today I was on my feet for several hours puttering around inside and outside with the kids and stuff. Lots of throbbing type pain now but it is clearly a different pain than in that first few day post op period. This pain feels like just good, hard, tired wear; the earlier pain felt like something has been seriously messed up with in there type pain.

I hear you on the CPM. I am afraid that it, combined with the cryo/ice, is becoming my go to place for comfort. I hope I can wean as they tell me I will be giving it back probably on about day 15.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:45 AM »
I know! I am giving my CPM back day 21 and am already dreading the thought, just because it's so relaxing. I have to say I never experienced any pain using CPM (so far anyway). Today I'm up to 80 degrees right on schedule. I was supposed to get to 90 by this friday, so I think I'll make it. Again, no real pain with it, just muscles stretching in the quad in a good way.

Hey, I got up and around yesterday too for a bit, went out on our deck and moved around more on the crutches and just having my leg in that downward position for awhile caused my toes to tingle and I knew I was getting swelling so I backed off.

I know what to expect moreso now, cause I just had surgery 7 weeks ago and I feel I'm on the same swelling schedule. It will be a good 4 weeks before I can go out to dinner and sit and exepect to have minimal swelling. The first 4 weeks when I go out I'll be putting my leg up for sure.

I wasn't so good with my last surgery. Everyone was saving their work time for this surgery to help me out, so I was on my own with the meniscectomy earlier and I just did too much and it took me a lot longer to heal. I decided I wasn't making that mistake again.

With knee injuries, you have no choice, either you listen loud and clear to it, or your knee makes you pay the price. It's hard for us, because everyone here is active and we're used to just living with pains here and there, but with the knee it's not about just living with the pain, the swelling is downright debilitating, affects your ROM and limits the quality of life if you don't take care.

This Friday I am going to a wedding, only because my kids are in the wedding. I am only shooting for the church ceremony. If my knee says I can do more, I'll try a bit of the reception afterwards, but I'm not going to push it.

Dave, I'm going to read your updates now.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 01:36:47 PM by celinenj03 »

Offline Anya

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 07:16:40 PM »
Hey, guys!

Looks like you are doing pretty well!  I returned my CPM machine after 4 weeks but by that time I substituted it for a stationery bike.  Get one if you can (or rent one) - it's a great thing.  I got mine on an eBay,, was a good deal.  Good luck to you.

Offline dmcronin

• Forum Faithful
  • No Man Is Immune
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 08:55:50 PM »
Wow oh wow do I hear your story about pushing it. Today is day 6 post op and the worst day so far. Yesterday I "walked" around a bunch, stood up with crutches to bear weight to "beginning strengthening", and just generally felt great.

This morning I woke up the the knee would not bend; not one degree. I has stayed pretty much like that all day. I feel sick, like the flu, have continuous shooting and throbbing pain in the knee, and just generally feel totally rotten. I also feel nauseaous which is something I almost never feel.

Nothing has helped. The cpm machine works; I set it to 100 and while using it, and the cryo cuff with ice, the knee feels kind of okay and will bend in the machine no problem. I have kept totally off the knee all day so far; no improvement but not getting any worse. The headache/nauseau/flu liie feelings really hep top it all off to make this the first day I seriously wonder if I needed to have this surgery.

I am hoping it is just because I "over did" it yesterday and after today's gentle reminder the knee and body  will start back on the correct path again.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:45:14 PM »
I had my flu like day twice, once with this surgery (lasted a few hours) and once with the last, so I don't know that I'd be too concerned unless you have high fever, you might want to call the doc. I figured it was some sort of reaction to the anesthesia and since it has passed haven't given it much thought.

I have been pretty much off my feet since last Wednesday, but like I said if I were to stand up for awhile I know my leg will swell and of course that affects the ROM. I'm not going to be able to put off the swelling it's inevitable, but I figure at least the first week I can really focus on getting the ROM without having the swelling stifle me.

My knee is sore today more than any other day. I feel like I got hit with 50 softballs in my shin too. Don't mean to scare anyone! It's not like a constant pain though, just like your leg has really been through it pain. Sometimes if I'm standing too long I get those sharp shooting out of no where pains in the medial side of my knee right where I had my meniscus done, but I read this is common so I'm not alarmed.

I have CPM cranked up (for me) to 85 today. I feel like I could do more, but I want to be close to my OS's schedule. By the way, Dave, are you taking your brace off when you are in the CPM?

Offline dmcronin

• Forum Faithful
  • No Man Is Immune
    • My Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 11:56:37 PM »
I have been bad about the brace. First 3 days kept it on 24 hours except when in cpm. Since then I keep the brace on only when sleeping and a couple of times wen hobbling around. So in CPM the brace is off. That means the brace is on now for about 12 hours a day. Of course, other than yesterday, I only move around on the first floor of the house and have done zero stairs or anything (I know; this sounds all well and good until I fall then I will regret the loss of brace).

My OS said keep the brace on most of the time except for CPM. He said I could unhinge the brace and let it swing after the first 1.5 days.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 12:06:18 AM »
Dave, you are weight bearing with no brace? If you are, then there is the answer as to why you have more swelling than me. Also, God forbid you stumble and fall, you could tear your graft. Believe me, I know it's hard to be patient and it's really hard to take things slow, but if you don't slow up now, your rehab will be longer overall. The brace stinks but it takes the pressure off the joint.

Offline dmcronin

• Forum Faithful
  • No Man Is Immune
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 03:15:11 AM »
If I had video you would see me hiding my face right now. I hear and shall obey. I guess when my OS said I must wear the brace execpt while in the cpm he meant I must wear the brace except while in the cpm. Not a lot of wiggle room for me hear. I officially un-ask for any sympathy for my pain today !

Offline momof2

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 03:28:19 AM »
Celin I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well post-op.  It is great to hear that you are progressing so quickly.  You are definately doing the right thing to rest as much as possible.  I can relate to wanting to do stuff with the kids.  It is so hard to sit back and watch.  I also tried to take advantage of cuddle time and reading.  We watched movies and tried to make the best of it.  You are very lucky to have help.  My husband returned to work on Day 4 and I was forced to move around more than I should have.  I really think (and so does the OS) that my problems with recovery are because I did way too much the first two weeks and that set me back by miles.  Keep up the good work.

Dave- Please wear your brace when you are up.  I did cheat and took it off but I paid dearly for that.  I was walking (just to the bathroom) at 4 weeks and it gave way causing me to fall.  I now have retorn my MCL.  It is making my recovery that much more of a challenge.  You never know when the fall may come.
3/10/06-ACL reconstruction with allograft,partial medial menisectomy,chondroplasty, extensive 3 compartment synovectomy/debridement,resection of hypertrophic synovial plica-right knee
9/15/06-partial medial menisectomy,chondroplasty, extensive 3 compart. synovectomy/debridement of the left knee

Offline dmcronin

• Forum Faithful
  • No Man Is Immune
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 01:26:27 PM »
If I was not convinced before you have all successfully scared/shamed me into my brace!