Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: how do you know?  (Read 854 times)

Offline sa4545

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
how do you know?
« on: May 04, 2006, 07:36:55 PM »
Hi-- it's wonderful to find a site with fellow knee sufferers. I am 44 and in fair shape. I originally injured my knee in 1980 skiing. It was a minor cartilage tear that  I ignored for 5 years, till my knee was very unstable and caused a hamstring injury. I had my first surgery to remove torn cartilage and scar tissue then. Following in 1993 I had an ACL replacement. Apparently enough scar tissue had formed to stretch ligament out of shape. In 1994 I had to have one of the screws removed. In 1999, it began locking and I had 2 more "debris removal" scopings, followed by a protein blasting of the ligament to tighten it up in 2002. I have had 4 great years, with little pain, locking or instability, until recently while walking up steps, it locked with a searing pain, and then had the 3 day "hangover" after-- you guys know the feeling, achy, stiff, swollen and shaky.  After 3 more episodes, went to my OS, who feels it is not the ACL loosening up again, but a meniscus tear. Am scheduled for an MRI, but have not had much luck  with it as a diagnosis due to metal screw in knee. My question (finally) is-- are there any particular pain symptoms from meniscus and is it even possible to tear it walking on stairs? I think my OS, will want to scope again due to history of knee and I am not sure how I feel about that.
Surgery 6 times rt. knee; torn cartilage; debris removal; ACL replace then repairs; chondromalacia; and always more debris

Offline ex-gymnast

• Regular Poster
Re: how do you know?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:56:59 AM »
I tore mine walking up stairs in Jan.  My OS said that when you already have a weak knee almost anything can snap the Meniscus.  I have had the acl in that knee (left) replaced 2 times.  I didn't even try the MRI and refuse to have surgery at this time.  I am using pt as a means of keeping it stable.
If I knew I'd be like this now, I'd do it all again.
1998- Lf ACL replace (failed)
1998- Lf ACL replace (worked)
1998- Rt LR
1999- Rt Scope
2000- Rt ACL replace
2001- Rt hardware replace
2002- Rt Scar Tissue Removal
2005- Rt Pattella Scraped
2009- Rt clean-out the mess
To Come: 2 Replace

Offline sa4545

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: how do you know?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 03:32:55 PM »
Thank you, I appreciate the answer and your help.
Surgery 6 times rt. knee; torn cartilage; debris removal; ACL replace then repairs; chondromalacia; and always more debris