Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee flexion...  (Read 957 times)

Offline Mark1201

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee flexion...
« on: May 04, 2006, 11:38:37 AM »
hi, i broke my patella (into 3 bits) mid january and had it wired back together. it's all healed and the muscles are gradually building back up. but i can only bend it back just passed 90 deg. and wondered if anyone experienced the same or if anyone can tell me how to get the movement back quicker, or if i'll get full movement back at all?
i'm getting a bit worried and want to get back on my bike!!! thanks, mark

*sorry, i'm new... just read lots of topics that have helped in other strings.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 11:58:56 AM by Mark1201 »

Offline Mark1201

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Knee flexion...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 11:43:37 AM »
here's my xray if it helps...  or if you're interested.

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:42:47 PM »
sorry to hear about your accident, but let me tell you first,that recoverying from kne injury is not a race.Take some time ,its like running a marathon not 100 meters.Knee is complicated thing and needs lots of time and dedication to recover.You didnt say,how long your knee was in plaster,if it even was,or how long were the wires in.Thought my example is kinda different,but i had unhappy triad,which was followed by 2 different operations.After i had plaster on for 3 weeks and then i wear a special brace which abled me to move my knee 15 degrees at the 4 week, 30 on the 5th 45 on the 6 th 90 on the 7 th and full range on 8 th week.Altought doctors allowed me to move my leg at full range, i couldnt do it.I did exercises,like drove a bike(you have to put your bench very up first,so that your knee wouldnt bend too much while cycling.Then i did swimming and range started to come back.Thought after the 2 nd surgery after 6 months i still wasnt on full range.Only now,9 months after the injury, i am close to full range,thought my muscles are weak and the last 10 degrees or so are very hard without the help of the hand.Anyway, my injury was totally different,but i hope you get the kinda point what i am trying to say.Take time and dont rush too fast.Biking is good,mabe,if you are doing some bmx,then you should first of all just ride the even surface,later on,back to your tricking.I also tryed to start doing trial(special kinda sport on bike) again,but i fell few times very bad on my bad knee, and so, i quited it,havent done it still,but probably planning to make a come-back:P
Cheers to you and i bet that you get your full range back and recover 100%
good luck!
unhappy triad

Offline Mark1201

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 11:40:02 AM »
cheers, ok.i didn't have plaster, just a brace which was locked for 2 weeks. 3rd week 30 degrees, then every week after that i got another 15 degrees of movement up to the 6th week at 90 degrees. then had the brace taken off but still wasn't allowed to stand/walk on it for another 2 weeks. end of the 8th week i had a check up and my patella was back in one piece! i've been going to see an osteopath because the hospital just gave me a sheet of exercises and that was all.
started to go to the gym over the last couple of weeks and swimming too. i can feel the muscles gaining strength, but the movement doesn't seem to be getting much better. oh, and the doctor said he will only take the wires out if they rub or irritate anything in my knee. i kinda want them out anyway but don't want more surgery...
cheers, mark