Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: having the ostetomy  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • OSCAR
Re: having the ostetomy
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 01:37:36 AM »
Hey Matt,

I also had a lot of swelling - even moreso when I did my physio exercises. In addition to elevating it are you icing it also? Maximum 20 mins with a break of at least 20 mins beore doing it again - may help some. Alternatively, anit - inflammatory drugs or diuretics may be prescribed by your doctor if he thinks it necessary.
Have you been sitting or standing for a longer time than usual? IS there anything you can think of that encourages your knee to swell? May be worth thinking about and then cutting back a little on any aggravating factors.
Other than that, I don't know what to suggest. I tend to just put up with my one leg looking like that of a rhino, but that's just me.

Take care,

Laura x
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 01:39:52 AM by laura79316 »
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 02:07:52 AM »
Hi Laura,

Thanks for your reply. I am icing it as much as possible nd when elevated, I am doing the break pumps to help with the circulation. I see the os on Mon re this and he may place me on a diuretic. I am self injecting into my stomach Lovenox to help prevent the blood clotting,so I cannot take any anti inflamatory meds. I am having good days and today was a minor setback. Its been a rough two weeks and sometimes I think Iam in denial re the enormity of it all. Denial can be a good thing sometimes.  Laura, are you the orthopoedic nurse on this board? Thanks again for oyur feedback and support. And, what type of surgery did you have?   Matt
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 09:31:07 PM »
Matt,

I had a TTT ( Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy) and I did also have alot of swelling. After about a month post-op I started to notice alot less swelling. I just iced 20 mins on and 20 mins off and elevated whenever I could even at work.

I had my surgery also at HJD but my OS retired in 2002.

Good Luck with the appointment Monday!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 02:14:25 AM »
Hi Cari,

Nice to read your posting and thanks, as always for your fedback. how long were you nwb after your osteotomy? Were you on crutches and for how long? You mentioned that youwent back to work...how long did that take you. I am so interested in hearing of others and their recovery. I am kind of obsessing lately over the whole swelling think going on. I was good for the past week and yesterday things triggered me and I am riding a bummer with my feelings. I am not home now and am def homesick. Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. It seems like your a veteran and always appreciate your feedback and support.   Matt

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »
I keep reading posts from anyone who has had an HTO.  I am  so afraid of the post operation rehab.. dont know why .   I was not able to walk with out crutches for two months after chrodroplasty and well my rom came back pretty fast after that .. however I still am not able to do so much .. and I have pain every day still.  and my doctor said I have two options to think about .. HTO  with Oats or ACI  .. or PKR with futures of TKR and revisions. and hell I am too young .. too young...

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2006, 03:51:06 PM »
How old are you? I am 39 years old and agree that Iam too young for this crap as well.  So far I am 16 days post op from HTO and each day Iam getting stronger and better. Iam recup at my sisters. The only thing is that I am not home I am totally homesick but like I said, each day gets better. I am not sure what condition your in and how bad your kness are. All I know is that tkr and pkr at a young age causes more difficulties in the future for revisions. Iam doing all I can to stave off a tkr. I hit a botom in the hospital last week and came to the decision that I will do anything I can to put this off. I am gonna swim more, drop weight and take the chronditin/glucosimine. Anyway, the HTO has not been bad. No pain, just stiff and swollen knees and ankles.  Matt

Offline Cari

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 05:33:32 AM »
Hi Matt,

I was non weight bearing for only one week. I was partial weightbearing with a locked bledsoe post-op brace and crutches for an additiional 7 weeks. I went back to work 4 weeks post-op for half days and then the following week fulltime.  I had a mostly desk job at the time but an hour car commute each way so my OS decided that since it was my left leg I could go back to work. He initially wanted me out for 6 weeks.  During the last 2 weeks ( out of the 7) I was allowed to use one crutch when I was inside my house and in my office but outside the home or walking around my office building I had to still use both crutches. I went through all of the different emotions, some times I hated myself for having the surgery and asked why I did it but then when I was able to go back to work it helped a bit and knowing almost immediately that the surgery worked helped me get through it.

Please feel free to vent anytime !!!!

I still look at the board often as so many helped me those years ago I always promised that I would give back and help who I can !!

Feel Better !!

Cari
open lateral release 10/85, various scopes 1994-1998 for debridement, medial release 11/98,  TTT(Fulkerson)& lateral release 11/30/99, screw removal 6/27/00, tibial repair 2/13/01, dx RSD 6/25/01

Offline daisygirl2

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 07:03:54 PM »
ick...just as I was getting all into helping my sister with her wedding planning (she gets married saturday!!) I get a call from the doc about setting up the pre-op stuff...yikes...now I'm starting to get scared...its soooo very soon.....

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 12:03:34 AM »
Matt

I am 36 - so far my leg is leaning outwards about five degress off from my left leg. I had chrondroplasty with microfracture in jan.. on both lfm and Mfc - standing xray show mfc is bone on bone.. and oh boy do i feel it..  right now I am using a lidocaine patch..  and I wish i could stick it on 24 hours a day sometimes. .. i am a wimp and have not made up my mind that I am ready for an HTO with ACI or Oats.  or  uni..

The HTO frightens me .. only due to the amount of time I would be non weight bearing ..  and ofcourse .. you have to deal with the pain and recovery .. and starting to rebuild muscles iit has taken me so long to regain.. i faxed my doctor today and asked him about an unloader brace. and if he could increase my lidocaine patch rx to read apply one patch every 12 hours when needed for pain .

Offline soccerdoc

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 01:17:44 AM »
Hi knee deep....

You are considering the right things, you have to be prepared for the HTO.  For me it was a good choice as I could not do do the things I wanted post-op if I had a UKR.  I was bone on bone befroe and on standing plain films 2 weeks ago, "salt lake views" I am bone on  bone in the medial compartment.  However when I run or do other activities I generally do not feel it.  If I had it to do over again I might have had it done 3 or 4 years earlier, I am 30 months post op and was 53 when I had it done.
L Knee: 1980 medial plication (?);1994 medial menisectomy 'bucket-handle tear; 2000 medial menisectomy w/dx mod-severe osteoarthritis; 2002 debridement w/dx severe osteoarthritis; 2003 HTO and LR.6/2/05  HTO hardware removal and debridement arthroscopy, 2009 L knee arthroscopy great result

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 05:44:59 AM »
Hi knee deep,

Everyone is different and heals differently as we all can attest to. For me, the only pain I felt since the HTO was immediately following the surgery when I awoke for a few minutes. I was on Perkosets for about 2 weeks then switched to tylenol. I only experience discomfort with the swelling, particularly when gravity kicks in when I stand. Pt is 3 times per week and I was able to rotate a full swing on the stattionary bike yesterday. That is a big deal for me. I want to share this only to let you know that for me, the pain was very, very brief. I am so glad I quit smoking cigarettes years ago because deep breathing helps with the pt . I read alot of posts from soccerdoc and from knee will be great and I re-read them often just to give me inspiration and reminders on how to get through this. The recovery is long, sometimes boring but I am so grateful that I am getting through it and that I chose this procedure. For me, at age 40, I feel that I am too young for a tkr and am glad that the hto was offered. Will I do this for my other kne that is also bone on bone, I don't think so. But, who knows what the future holds. I hit an emotional bottom in the hospital and will do whatever it takes to loose some more weight and live a healthier lifestyle. I lost 24 pounds already . Anyway, I just wanted to share with the board my take on the HTO.  btw, was is a lidocaine patch?      Matt

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 01:09:26 AM »
oh the lidocaine patch is really a godsend. There are times you may remember priior to surgery .. when you just said enough with the pill popping.  It certainly takes some of the bite out..  Its a topical patch.. that has embedded lidocaine that numbs your nerve endings.  When your bones click they rub  and you feel a shot of pain.. Sometimes like a rake grinding on pavement pain .. So basically its a great pain management option

I did aqua therapy for about 2 months  before my PT wanted to do construction work and bailed out on his PT career. . I went last week for a few land visists and all i did really was stright leg raises with 2 1/2 pounds ..  side leg raises with 2 1/2 pounds ..Some leg extensions on the weight machine..  so yoga streches with the belt.... some calf raises .. I can really do that at home.. tens machine does not provide any comfort..

I really hit rock bottom when everyone i knew wanted to go walking here or there. mountains.. beach .. mall .... and I can frankly just handle a trip to the drug store with a cart.  Costco.. cant shop alone.. will use crutches.  I have had pain in one way shape or form since this knee nonsense happened in Nov.   The pool is the only thing that makes me feel normalized.   I had made an extra effort to go to the store to get sugar free ice and someone ate it on me..   I had an emotional fit that .. it took so much out of me to get to the store to buy the ice.  Plus the fact that my crutches had been moved and my handicapped parking tag was moved.  I felt very invisable and that my best efforts to "get out and do something had been taken away fast from someone who was faster to the fridge than me"  Some people call it  grief .. others might call it something else.

I been on mobic for maybe three months now and I am noticing neck aches more and more.   I am just tired of being in pain.. limping .. slave to medicine.   Ofcourse you love to read the positive posts but   I lost patience. Overwhelmed with options , paniced about doing enough..

actually i started to read about  knee replacements after failed HTO's .. Than I just crack up and laugh when i watch .. cable tv and see hullk hogan with  a fake knee and a fake hip and getting  several six inch needles in his back .. he keeps on ticking doesn t he..  Another role model .. FDR and Hulk Hogan

http://www.lidoderm.com/patients_about.aspx