Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fosamax  (Read 1193 times)

Offline LaughingBuddha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fosamax
« on: May 03, 2006, 10:54:42 AM »
Hi everyone

I was hoping someone might be able to share any experience they may have had with how effective Fosamax might be in helping fractures and bone stress/bruising heal.

My sports physician has just precribed this for me for a slow healing (7 weeks and almost zero pain relief) tibial plateau rim bone bruise. I am 35 and male.

Would supplementing this with Calcium and Vit D help?

Thanks so much.

Offline ruthpan29

• Regular Poster
  • 24 yr old ditzy gal
    • All about my torn ligament and folded meniscus
Re: Fosamax
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 11:01:44 AM »
Hey, i did a DEXA weeks ago and happened to be at -1... the lowest range before I become osteoporotic...
My OS put me on calcium supplements (vit D is not necessary if you live in a country where you get a lot of sunlight...)... saying it would help. He mentioned something about Fosomax slowing down bone renewal that may impede my healing process... so I am just eating calcium supps for the meantime...
this is hopefully to protect my bones against the drilling for my ACLR next week. Also, he encouraged weight bearing (at least partial) though i had a meniscus repair and to walk whenever I can. He mentioned that this would help prevent bone loss...
Good luck... and lemme know the outcome...
Ruth
Complete ACL tear and bucket handle tear - 23/03/06
Meniscus repair 31/3/06
ACL allograft - 8/5/06
http://2btorn.blogspot.com

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 01:28:02 PM »
Hi ~ My experience with Fosomax has been with a dog - not with people. But when I had a greyhound diagnosed with osteosarcoma (bone cancer) of the shoulder I did use Fosomax to help prevent a spontaneous fracture. Whether it was a fluke or what, the bone held...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 02:12:05 PM »
I have used Fosamax for some time. My Dexa was great, but when they fixed my ankle the OS said it was a bit 'soft'; os on to the fosamax.  I have used it through fractures that healed quickly and those that didn't?  Fosimax slows the breakdown of bone.  You know that yor body is constantly breaking down bone and making new bone, Fosamax and the others in the class slow the breakdown of bone and that leads to greater bone density.

Check out http://www.medes.fr/Eristo/Osteoporosis/BoneRemodeling.html on the continual process of bone remodeling.
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline LaughingBuddha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 11:49:11 PM »