Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Femoral Hyline Allograft, O.A.T.S. and ACI - oh my!  (Read 1540 times)

Offline hopalongcasualty

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Today is a gift.That's why it's called the present
    • Left knee surgery
Femoral Hyline Allograft, O.A.T.S. and ACI - oh my!
« on: May 12, 2005, 05:57:29 PM »
Hello,

Looking for anyone with experiences wirh femoral allograph. 

I am 36 yr old active male who dislocated my knee while doing ice hockey practice 01-30-05.  In the injury I shredded the medial capsule, tore the medial meniscus, MCL, dislocated the patella and tibia.  At some point the wieght bearing distal end hyaline cartlige of the lateral femoral condyle was sheered free of the bone.  The MRI had shown a small partial thickness defect, but when they were doing the surgery they found the "big ass" loose body that I had been telling them about for 6 weeks while I was doiing PT.  This free floater would jam the joint or if I was lucky only lodge in the damaged area of the medial capsule but that would severly limit flexion.  I would have to manually slide the loose body out of the way befoe I could flex the knee. 

In the surgery (03-30-05) they did a debridment (had to chop up the loose body to get it out via scope) corrected the chondromalaisia on the back of the patella, fixed the meniscus (red zone), repaired the medial capsule and did a lateral release. 

I have had a lot of swelling post op and joint discomfort.  The medial capsule repair site is quite painful on extension with weights during PT and the lateral femoral condyle seems to catch while I am walking or exercising, when it releases, the site pops and feels like 30 bee stings on the end of the lateral femur.   

Immedialtly when I cam out of recovery the Surgeon mentioned that I would probably need an allograft in the near future.

I am still in PT and working on strength training.

My question:  I would like to hear from people who have had   a) hyline allografts   b) O.A.T.S.   c) ACI  to see what your experiences have been good/bad.  I want to know what to expect real world not from a text book or from a physicians journal. 

Thanks in advance,

Hop-along-casualty
R Knee
83-LCL,ACL&Medial Meniscus tear
86-Debridment
87-TTT Houser Manuver
89-TTT Maquet Procedure*
92-Meniscus Tear
04-Supartz Injections
05-Contusion
L Knee
05-tibia & patella dislocation w/MCL tear & large lateral condyle defect
2-15-06 Lateral condyle osteochondral Allograft ::)

Offline Nick_Knack

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • User's Text
Re: Femoral Hyline Allograft, O.A.T.S. and ACI - oh my!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 08:38:31 PM »
oats is in a different section on this website

Read up on Jules' thread a lot of info and different people who have undergone ACI.

Femoral Allograft, no idea.
1989 rt ACL (+25 degrees ext loss)
1994 rt ACL resection (+ 10 deg)
2001 rt ACL revision (+ 10 deg)
2003 rt med meniscus repair (+10 deg)
2004 rt LOA and post capsulotmy (zero degrees)
2005 rt LOA and tib bone plug removal (even w/ other leg)
2006 rt Fulkerson TTT & ACI Carticel

Offline WEnterline

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Femoral Hyline Allograft, O.A.T.S. and ACI - oh my!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 07:25:02 PM »
Hello Hopalong -

I believe we touched base a few weeks ago - I think you were 2 weeks out of an allograft procedure from a Dr. Bugby?

This is just a check in to see how rehab is going; as I recall there were also 2 screws in your femur - you sent some pictures.

Regards,
Walt Enterline