Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ACI success  (Read 1689 times)

Offline mayme

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
ACI success
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:59:53 PM »
Blackbelt girl,

Make sure you check out today's www.orthosupersite.com article regarding ACI and yesterday's article re: Hyalograft-c.

Good luck

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACI success
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 02:56:08 PM »
Thanks.  I did see that article, and decided not to read to the end.  The reality is, I've already tried "standard" treatment, in the form of microfracture.  And the published success rate for allografts on the really large lesions isn't so good.  I just want to be able to live the rest of my life without daily pain.  Or have kids someday, and not wonder if the knee will be acting up the same day the baby is, so that I can't walk my baby around the house to calm him/her down.  I'm not asking for much, I don't think.  And with my surgery date so close, I'm trying to focus on the positives.  My OS does all the standard options, and he really doesn't think an allograft is the right choice for me. 

But I really appreciate that you thought of me.  It's nice to realize how people care.
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 03:02:44 PM »
Correction.  I hadn't seen the newest article.  THANK YOU!!!!!!

A few days earlier there was an article comparing ACI to standard cartilage techniques, that found ACI wasn't any more effective.  And while I'm in the US, and can't get the newer versions of ACI yet, this recent article seems to be written just for me.  I have had 2 surgeries on the knee already, but since one of them was 15 years ago, I'm not sure that one counts.  But I am highly functional (despite medical expectations), and my lesions are LFC and trochlea, with the LTP thrown in for good measure.  But this article makes it sound like I'm an ideal candidate!  And it confirms what my OS told me - that if the ACI fails, I can still try an allograft procedure.  But if we started there and the allograft failed, it would be a waste of time to try ACI 2nd.  WOW!  Just over 3 weeks to go, and I am thrilled to see any publication that makes me sound like an ideal candidate. 

THANK YOU MAYME!!!!!
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion

Offline Rod G

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 11:46:38 AM »
Hi BlackbeltG,

Just wondering where you are at the moment with your ACI operation?

I had a MACI operation 12/12/05.

Regards

Rod

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 07:40:09 PM »
Thanks for asking.   Unfortunately, I'm just about out of options.  I have gone t hrough 3 appeals with my insurance company.  I have a meeting with the review panel at the end of June, where I can question them about their reasoning.  And if that still fails, I can appeal to the benefits administrator at my company, who can override the insurance company.  But that's it.  I work for a very large company, and the company self-insures.  That means that while they hire a insurance company to manage the plan, basically, the company is actually paying the costs, and it means that I have no redress through the state commission.  I'm not really sure where I'll go from here, but I'm sick of sitting on the sidelines.

Jess

support