Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Open Wedge HTO  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Taps

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Open Wedge HTO
« on: May 02, 2006, 11:31:04 PM »
Hi All,

I live in Australia and injured my ACL in my right knee about 13yrs ago and did not have it repaired.  My OS is telling me that I require a HTO to delay a TKR by hopefully 10 or so yrs (I am only 30).  When I initally consulted him (in April last yr), the procedure was going to leave me non weight bearing for a period of 8-10wks depending on how it healed.  However after my latest consultation (start of this yr), he has advised that he now uses a new prosthesis to hold the bone in its new position following the cut and that patients are weight bearing the next day.  Does anyone have any experience with this procedure and being weight bearing soon after surgery due to the type of plate used during the procedure?  The reason for my question is my knee is playing up at present and I was planning to have the surgery in September following my wedding and honeymoon in June / July, but I am worried that I will not be able to enjoy my trip to europe and that I am also doing undue damage by staying on it until I have the procedeure in September. 

Any thoughts or experiences are most appreciated.

Cheers 

support