Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Inner Knee Weakness when bending or landing  (Read 1824 times)

Offline liverpud

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Inner Knee Weakness when bending or landing
« on: May 02, 2006, 07:21:14 PM »
Hi all, this is my first post.
I have been a competitive squash player at the club level for 20 years. In Dec, I went for a shot and sprained my inner right knee. I was lazy to seek professional help right away due to cost factor. I thought it would recover on its own in due time. After 3 mths, I am better especially walking up and down the stairs.At the beginning, I was limping up and down but now some strength has returned to the right knee. I tried to play a regular sqaush game and noticed whileI can cover the court at the back (less knee stress) I had some difficulty bending and stretching down low to reach and play drop shots. I notice the knee"going under" or a slight pain. When I jump up to hit high shots I land but my right knee does'nt like the weight. I immediate feel pain or a "buckle".
Now after 5 mths, I am just doing drills inside the court. I finally went to see my doctor and he said it is not my ACL,MCL..etc....There was no pain when he
pressed into several knee areas. He then said he thought it was the "Medial Meniscus". I would need an MRI. My MRI is not till Sept so in the meantime
I was wondering if I could still play some "gentle/easy squash until Sept? Could I make the knee worse than it is ? I still go to the gym for light weights and I
cycle to maintain fitness. Please advise if I need total rest away from squash/exercise/cycling. Just to recap, I only feel a slight pain or tenderness in the knee when I bend low forward motion and when I jump and land. Everything else I do with the knee there is absolutely no pain, ackwardness. When I lie down and stretch the leg vertically and bend the knee there is a slight "klink". I also notice that when I do leg raises. I can raise the left leg at the knee joint without difficulty using some light weights but I have alot of difficulty doing the same action with the right. Any opinions and suggestions to what I may have and how to rehab/strengthen the knee would be most appreciated. Also, if it is indeed the meniscus, can I recover fully ?

Offline christinaadams

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Inner Knee Weakness when bending or landing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 12:29:27 AM »
Hi

Firstly if you can seek professional advice from a good Physio, you are the one who has got to live with this knee for the duration so its up to you

Also as it has not fully recovered this far i would guess it requires some attention.

You may just have an issue with a muscle imbalace that a physio would treat and give you some exercises to do.

I think better to be safe than sorry

Chris

support