Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just a quickie!  (Read 1219 times)

Offline FreyasDad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Just a quickie!
« on: April 10, 2003, 12:04:14 PM »
Iam now on a NHS waiting list for ACL Recon and a i just wonderd if anyone knows how long i will need to take off work after the Op - I do a desk job so return to work should be quite swift, but i just need to let my boss know roughly how long i may be off?
Any past experience's would be helpful!
Torn ACL - Playing Football (Soccer)

Offline Lizzie - UK

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Fibromyalgia diagnosed Dec 2003 - OA in both knees
    • E30 Zone
Re: Just a quickie!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 04:55:19 PM »
I do not have any prior knowledge of ACL injuries, but I guess the best person to ask would be the OS.  I, personally would guess approx 6 weeks - if it is less, you can always go back earlier, but if you say less than 6 weeks and you need more time off - your boss might get a bit annoyed.  

Other than that, as I seem to be the only person that has answered your query - try posting another thread on the Cruciate segment of this forum.

Wishing you luck on your op.

Regards
Lizzie
Past History of L&R Knee
Bilateral OA
Medial Meniscal Tears
Lateral Releases & Medial Reefings
Ruptured LCL, MCL & PCL
Adhesions in the interconylar notch of ACL removed
Suprapatella plication
Debridements/Lavages
Deep chondral fissure in crest of patella
Awaiting MRI - LK
TKR - RK

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:40:10 PM »
Ask your GP for a rough estimate of the time you will be off or if he isn't sure about the timescales, it may be worth phoning the scretary of your surgeon and asking her, she may also be able to request a doctors note for your employers prior to your surgery.

Good luck
Iona x

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 08:01:54 PM »
My doctor authorized 5 weeks of convalescent leave (I was in the military at the time.)   Which I thought was overly generous, but not having taken a sick day in my life at that point, decided to take it all anyway...  :D  

It does vary widely from person to person, which is probably why people are hesitating to give you a figure.    

I have known people who had surgery and went to work within a few days, contorting themselves at their desk to keep their leg elevated.    That's really the biggest problem - keeping you knee above your heart at a desk - unless you're pretty darned flexible!    I know if it wasn't elevated almost constantly for the first few weeks after my ACL reconstruction, my knee throbbed and swelled up horribly.    But with my recent arthroscopy I was back at work the next morning and felt pretty good.    

Obviously you should ask your doctor for a recommendation, but I'd guess 4-5 weeks as a base figure.    Then add or subtract based on how willing you are to go to work in some pain, what kind of physical condition you are in (more muscle tone now=easier recovery/rehab later), and how you react in general to surgery and how quickly you heal.

Best wishes with the surgery!

Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

Offline FreyasDad

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2003, 01:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the replys - They are all very helpful!!
Torn ACL - Playing Football (Soccer)