Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: knee excercises  (Read 1507 times)

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
knee excercises
« on: May 02, 2006, 12:04:16 AM »
hey guys! i have posted before.  im about four weeks post up lateral release, lateral meniscus surgery.  i am walking now and going to p. therapy.  im having problems building up my quad. i do the excercises they give me but nothing seems to budge it.i can't do my straight leg raise yet. from your own personal surgery's what were the best quads to do ??? just curious. im willing to try anything thanks.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
Re: knee excercises
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 04:17:08 AM »
Heym, know your frustration..check out..."getting quads to do their job"..on page 4 or 5 and "only good for one week"...(don't know what page ..somewhere in the back)there is a lot of good exersizes on those posts, plus alot of of the same frustrations you're facing and will face....but stick with it..it'll get better....some day.. ;)good luck

hilde
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%  hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance 
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 06:37:03 AM »
Hey!
 I have had my share of quad problems. They seem to be the hardest for everyone. It can be very frustrating and try not to let it get you down. I was not able to even lIFT MYfoot up for 3 weeks after op and it took alot of attempts to get knee up and finally they hooked me up witha tens unit at pt. iT HELPS WITH GETTING IT TO STIMULATE IT. TRY PRESSING WHOLE LEG DOWN ON COUCH SEE IF QUAD CONTRACTS, FEEL FOR IT IF CAN'T SEE IT. iF YOUR NOT SURE ASK pT TO CHECK IT OUT NEXT TIME. tHERE REALLY IS NOT MUCH YOU CAN DO AT THIS POINT EXCEPT TRY TO LIFT IT. eVERYONE HEALS DIFFERENTLY AND IT TOOK ME ALMOST 8 WEEKS UNTIL i GOT IT UP BY MYSELF. YOU CAN PUT A ROLLED UP PILLOW OR TOWELS UNDER KNEE AND HAVE SOME ONE HELP GUIDE IT WHILE YOU TRY. iF YOU CAN'T LIFT IT TRY TO CONTRACT THE QUAD AND HAVE THEM RAISE IT SLOWLY AND TO YOUR COMFORT LEVEL , I DID THAT AT FIRST ALSO AND IT HELPED TO GET IT GOING, KIND OF REMINDING IT WHAT TO DO. aLSO ASK ABOUT THE UNIT i SWEAR BY IT. i AM NOT GIVING MINE UP.i HOPE YOU CAN GET SOME USE BACK SOON. BS
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline lgeorge106

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 12:48:11 PM »
Hi.  I got an e-stim unit that worked wonders.  I was 16+ weeks post-op from my LR and 4 weeks post-op from my follow-up clean up surgery before I could lift my leg.  I'd gone through PT and back to pilates but the quad would not respond.  I had used an e-stim unit during pt but only at the end while the knee was iced down.  The first time I used my e-stim unit and tried to lift the ankle off the table, I could!  I had my knee draped over a foam roller and every time the muscle contracted I tried to lift the ankle off the table.  I got from nowhere to 6 inches in the first 15 min session.  When the unit shut off I tried it without and could still lift the ankle.  Much to my surprise I was able to do a SLR but with about 25 degrees lag.  Prior to this I couldn't do one at all.  I've had my unit about 3 weeks now and use it 2-3 times a day.  What a difference.  There are lots of models out there that range in price from $50 to $3000.  Mine cost $85 and was well worth every penny.  After 18+ weeks on a crutch because the leg felt like it was too weak and would give out, I was able to get off of the crutch now that the quad is responding.  I'm also now back to normal weights and settings for the pilates equipment too.  I'm not ready to run a marathon or anything (actually I hate to run and don't mind not being able to!).  But have seen such an improvement in the last 3 weeks.  While waiting for my OS last week I had the unit on and was sitting on the exam table trying to do an extension when he walked in.  He was quite surprised and thrilled.  And admitted to me that he hadn't been a believer in e-stim units until that moment (the physiatrist my OS referred me to prescribed it although some companies don't require the rx to get one).  If your PT has a unit, ask to try it.  The placement of the pads is the trick.  Just keep trying!!

1984 - L knee scope
1985 - L knee LR
12/15/2005 - R knee LR
03/14/2006 - R knee chondropasty and synovectomy

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 04:30:20 PM »
Hey!
Your right it was e- stims at Pt they hooked me up to at first. The tens unit came later for pain and stimulation for muscle spasms. I know it is hard to replace pads. My Os prescribed it and insurance compamy did cover mine. It helped out alot they both did. It has been so long I forgot the stims was the first one they used. I keep doing those legs lifts it is the only thing that keeps them getting better when you can't get to pt or have no bike etc at home. Keep trying one day it will lift some and you will be so much encouraged, just do it in moderation at first.
I hope good spirts for you soon.
Bs
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline CYNNIEB4`

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 05:13:32 PM »
hey thanks for all the quick replys.  e stims is that the machine?? there using one on me right now trying to get the muscle to budge.  that one seems to be helping the most.  its really sore still along the lateral side in one spot. im having lots of trouble trying to do the leg lifts sitting and bending up.  i appreciate the feedback.  youve all helped so much. thanx.