Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cant have ligament replacement surgery, any alternatives?  (Read 732 times)

Offline smanick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cant have ligament replacement surgery, any alternatives?
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:57:12 PM »
Am 39 yrs old and was supposed to have ligament repalcement surgery. Upon opening the surgeon discovered there was very little cartilage left and consequently decided that the surgery was not worth doing. I play football (or at least used to) twice a week and have now been told that I may need joint rep. in 10-15 years.
Are there any procedures/ surgeries that I can undergo to at least allow me to play again (while I still am able to?)

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: cant have ligament replacement surgery, any alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:27:59 PM »
Not sure how much cartilage damage you have, but a lot of people have an ACL reconstruction done together with a cartilage replacement procedure.  If you've got too much damage for that, but you're not in constant pain, there are braces that may substitute for an ACL, at least at the recreational level of sports.  Before you give up on your activities for the next 15 years, get at least 1 more opinion.

Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: cant have ligament replacement surgery, any alternatives?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 09:56:04 PM »
Hi there
I have not had cartalidge or ACL since I was 18 (43 now) . Continued all spoerts until I was about 35! -  Keep your muscles strong and they will go a long way to help support your knee - well it worked for me  - trouble is that arthritis got me big time so now having tkr. - good luck
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)