Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: I can't straighten my knee. What should I do?  (Read 2072 times)

Offline jmonds

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I can't straighten my knee. What should I do?
« on: May 01, 2006, 08:14:45 PM »
Hi,

my knee locks up from time to time and I cannot straighten it.  it usually gets better on its own but i was wondering if I should use ice or heat or both or neither to help with the swelling and pain.  also any additional info would help like exercise, do I need to get an xray, can i hobble around on it, etc.  i'm guessing its something to do with my meniscus but not sure. ???

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: I can't straighten my knee. What should I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »
When it swells get some ice on it and elevate it, while you're sitting with your leg up get on the phone and make an appointment to at least see your GP and start getting it sorted. From the way you say it usually gets better I'm assuming you've been putting up with this for a while, was there any initial injury that started this?
You  really ought to get it checked out.
TC
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10 years on and still going strong
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline spooky

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 11:59:45 AM »
I used uce to unlock mine and loads of massage.  In the end it was getting so bad before my op I had to use heat and ice but this isnt' good for the swelling.  you need to see a surgon and get it checked out properly

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 02:34:00 PM »
Hi, locking and problems straightening the leg can be because of a tear in the meniscus. This (I think) usually happens as a result of an injury along the lines of falling on it while it's twisted.

You should go to the doctor and get it checked out. No point just putting up with pain.

Best Wishes
Sarah

support