Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Question  (Read 800 times)

Offline thesmallestwall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Question
« on: May 01, 2006, 01:39:43 AM »
Hi all
I'm a 16 year old with ehlers-danlos syndrome (most likely hypermobility type, but going to rheumy thursday). I had reconstructive surgery on my right ankle in december (crissman-snook procedure), and while I was away this weekend i put my right leg up to cross and I heard kind of a clicking noise. It kind of hurt then, but then was fine when I woke up until hurting a couple hours later, then it got okay, and now several hours later I have taken some ibu-profen and iced and the pain just keeps getting worse. It hurts the most when i put weight on it and try to completely extend it. It also feels like and any moment my knee could bend in (it hurts on the inside).
Anyone have any idea what this could be? I have a followup appointment with my ortho surgeon for my ankles in 2 weeks, but am wondering if I should get that moved up in case I should be on crutches or have a brace on or something. Any response would be greatly appreciated....
Kate

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
Re: Knee Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 01:52:01 AM »
Hi Kate,
You may have torn a meniscus or something. I don't think there are too many EDS patients on here, but I know a few from another site and I know how fragile things can be. If it's really painful, I think you shoudl call thte OS's office and see what they think about moving up the appointment. You are right that you might be doing more damage and ... with something like EDS i'm not sure that's a good risk to take.  IF it's really painful to put weight on it and ibuprophen and ice don't seem to make it feel any better, i'd call. It can't hurt to call and ask. :)

Goodluck
Linds
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline thesmallestwall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee Question
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 02:17:33 AM »
Thanks for that response. Anyone else have ideas? My knee has gotten slightly worse over today, and while i can limp on it, when i try to straighten it i can, but it clicks and i get major pain...I read the meniscus thing and a lot of my symptoms sound similar but could this happen with just the force of holding my foot while i tried to cross my legs more? (talked to a friend who was with me when I twisted it, and she agrees that i had been casually holding my foot) Called the ortho surgeon and hes out of town the rest of the week but I have an appointment for Monday morning. Just very curious and wondering if it would be better to rest it, or pull out the physical therapy excerzises i did when i gto tendinitis and bursitis in my other knee in the fall.
Thanks again,
Kate