Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ACL reconstructed.... Bone softening...  (Read 1097 times)

Offline firefytinfemale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL reconstructed.... Bone softening...
« on: April 30, 2006, 02:42:15 PM »
 ???  Hi...  I'm a 35-year-old female.  My ACL was reconstructed and a partial menisectomy 5 1/2 weeks ago.  I'm in otherwise good health. 

Right after surgery the my doctor told my husband that when he drilled into my bone the inside was "soft".  He has kept me nonweight bearing for 6 weeks.  He described the softness like "thickened applesauce" and had great concern about the hardware moving.  He has not given me an explaination and just said maybe I should have a bone density study and left it at that.

I have not found anyone who can give an explaination or idea about this "softening"  I'd appreciate any ideas or information.  Thanks so much!!!!!

Offline sezb

• Forum Faithful
  • Sister Sarah's lost her mind...
Re: ACL reconstructed.... Bone softening...
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:53:33 PM »
Hi,

I would go and see your GP when able to and mention it.... probably just age related?!? A bit too young for week bones though I would have thought? Isn't calcium supposed to help.... just a thought.

Hope you get some answers soon,
Sez :)
ACL op R. knee 02/90
ACL op L. Knee 04/06 
(Yes went and did the other knee too - skiing again!)
Had enough of knees now!!!

Offline firefytinfemale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 03:45:52 PM »
I do take an a calcium suppliment and eat well.  Being 35 I doubt it's osteoporosis but who knows.  Some one suggested osteopenia but I was walking, etc. prior to surgery so there really wasn't any lack of use.  I'm planning on an appt with my GP in the next week. 

Offline heather k from wales

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Ouch!!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 04:43:35 PM »
I had much the same problem with my 1st ACL Reconstruction back in 1995.  I had a very poor fixation and had to have bone grafts to help plug the holes.  My notes said I had extremely poor fixation even using several bone staples (see my picture next to my profile).  The bone was extremely soft.
I was told that it may have been due to walking carefully for so long on it, weakening the bone, making it very soft.  But that was only a possibility.   I was'nt given a scan or any other diagnostic treatment....or any treatment of any sort :o.
I was advised by a dietician to increase my calcium intake.  From that day until this, I have eaten yoghurts daily and changed my normal water coffee to hot-milk frothy coffee's, made with skimmed milk as it contains more calcium than full fat milk.  I take codliver oil daily, without fail and get out in the sunshine whenever I can.

I have never been checked on progress on this, although I had a further ACL Recon in 2003 with absolutley no bone softness.
I also had a bony wrist operation for a bone tumour/cyst in my scaphoid (wrist bone) with a graft taken from my radius (wrist end of forearm).  The bones were found to be suprisingly hard.  My tumopur/cyst had grown inside the bone and had left the bone a thin shell, very vunerable to fracturing........but they still had to chisel pretty hard for a fair amount of time to crack into the bone! :o (I watched) :o :o

So, if I were in your shoes, I would take plenty of calcium (milk, yoghurts, cheese) and vitamin D to help absorbtion of the calcium (oily fish, codliver oil, natural sunshine)

Good luck, and let us know how you get on,

Heather ;)
91 Mangled Right knee on trials motorbike
94 Meniscus Repair
95 ACL/LCLrec,notchplasty,bone graft
01 90% Menisectomy
02 Scope
03 ACLrec,LAD
OA,osteophytes
04 Ch'plasty, ACLdeb,Suprapatella mbr ex, haematoma
04 Scope
March 06 Scaphoid op/bone graft