Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Synovial plica  (Read 1592 times)

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Synovial plica
« on: April 30, 2006, 11:45:59 AM »
Hi, First time on here! I have found the site really helpful. I had arthroscopy last Monday (24th April) . After a MRI scan nothing showed, my OS was still sure I had menisular tear. He couldnt find a tear,but said it was the Synovial plica, which he removed. I just didnt expect it to be so painful! I have been walking on it straight after the op,and trying so hard to do the excercises, but still finding it hard to walk properly and bend the knee. I feel like a whimp! I was told I would be able to drive in 5-7 days, there is no way I could at the moment. Does anyone know what the recovery time is? am I doing something wrong? I have been using lots of ice. I go back to see my consultant next Friday. I live in stockport, England. Thanks
Arthroscopy-excision of synovial plica  24th April 06 (left knee)

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
Re: Synovial plica
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 05:20:19 PM »
Hi, I have had 2 plicas removed and you are right, it does HURT. It sounds like things are going pretty normally to me (but I am just a patient, no medical training at all) .
Both of my plica removals were also in conjunction with other stuff but I do remember the spots where the plica were attached ached for quite some time afterwards. I am sorry that I cant tell you a time frame, I just dont remember and since we all heal differently, what happened to me would be different than you.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 06:18:26 PM »
Hi missy ,Thanks for that, its just everyone says you should be ok after a week,and when it  doesnt seem to be getting better and i am on day 6, I,m panicing. I know everyone heals differently so I shall just hope for the best! You seem to have had so much done and here am I whinging over one thing! Good luck to you , and thanks again.

Offline Tanya71

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • When does it get better? :)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 10:16:26 PM »
i had a plica removed Feb 8 '06 - as well as a medial menisectomy. my first day to drive was 9 days later and it was HARD. (that was also my first day of PT.) i commute 45-60 minutes each way, so it's not like i could just hitch a ride to work. i am still having swelling, pain and now have been told i have poor mechanics of the knee caused by said swelling, causing my patella to rub against the femoral condyle (not a pleasant feeling btw). that has followed a good bout with tendonitis..   >:(

after my surgery, i was told recovery would take "longer" because of the plica removal, and a couple weeks ago on a follow up with the OS was told the swelling and continued pain was typical, as there is a large "raw" area that must heal and scar over. my PT treatment has been wonderful but even she is thinking about sending me back to the OS a week early to see about the continued swelling and now maltracking of the patella. (i ice A LOT, and the swelling comes back 1-2 hours later.)

like a previous post stated, we all heal differently. my PT's were very clear to state that to me, and not give a timeline. i haven't found anyone who can give one (see one of my other threads)... and i think it's more depressing to put a timeline on it. really, being told you can drive in 5-7 days, then you can't? of course that would make you feel bad! just listen to your knee - it will tell you when it is ready to progress. if it hurts, tell your PT and don't let them push you too hard or you can wind up with regressing and prolonging your recovery.

good luck!
8/05 Fall. MRI:Fibular fx,sprains/strains. OS says chondromalacia/poss meniscus prob
10/05 Start PT
1/06 Bone scan (neg)
2/06 Rt knee scope-partial meniscectomy/plica resection
2/06 St PT
7/06 Change OS
8/06 St aquatic therapy
10/06 DonJoy TruPull brace
11/06 Released PT, home PT
Patellar pain STILL

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »
Hi , thanks for the reply. I have had a bad day, alot of pain, I think I need to rest more tomorrow.( not easy with 4 kids!) my husband is very good but you still end up doing jobs. I keep using lots of ice. Just feel it should be alot better by now. thanks again and good luck to you too, let me know how you get on.

Offline stgiles16

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photo album
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 06:41:20 AM »
Please remember, YOU ARE ONLY 6 DAYS POST OP. No matter what you have done, at 6 days, most people would still have pain. As a mother myself, I know how taking care of kids can slow your healing because you have to do things that you might not be supposed to do and you cant rest as much as you would like to. A positive attitude will go a long way in how you heal. Keep up the good work, you will get there. As for all of my mess, i am doing ok, I have good days and bad. It could have been much worse, I could have been killed in the accident. Thank you for the well wishes though.

good luck
missy
2 ligament recons right ankle
2 arthroscopic,
5 open knee procedures
2 Plica removals
bone spur removal
2 microfractures
4 debridements
2 open LOAs all on left knee
Arthritis,both knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, hands,spine
Fibromyalgia
Arthrofibrosis
LOA & PKR 2/15/06
RA
in pain mgmt
TKR JAN 2012

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 11:50:52 AM »
Hi, Still suffering! although I see an improvment everyday. Went back to OS on Friday for check up, he said everything is how it should be at this stage and to start physio, which I am doing tomorrow. Will only know if the problem I had has gone away when my knee has recovered from op.I must say it has been alot worse than I thought it was going to be,I was sure I would be running around by now! Still not driving .It  is very frustrating. Totally wiped me out, its only the past 4 days I have started to feel back in the land of the living. Anyway hopefully with physio it will improve quickly. Would like to wish everyone GOOD LUCK and I hope everyone gets their knees sorted without to much pain. Thankyou.

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 10:42:22 AM »
Hi, I can totally relate to what you are saying, I had a plica excision 3 years ago and I remember my OS saying to me that I would be back to normal after about 3 weeks, it was hard going on me and my family, I couldn't stand for long for weeks and it took at least 6 months before I felt like I was getting somewhere.  My rehab was slow due to damaged cartilage and the pain being too bad to do certain exercises.  I'm having problems now with the 'good' knee and I know that eventually I am going to need surgery but knowing what I know now I am putting off going back.
Good luck with your rehab and I hope things go a lot smoother for you.
Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA

Offline lesleyjh

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 04:30:04 PM »
Hi Donna68, Thankyou for that information, it makes me feel alot better knowing its not just me! I am now 4 weeks post op, and having physio 3 times a week,which is helping, but I am far from being pain free. I still have alot of swelling and the physio has mentioned RSD, which she is trying to desensitize? I am driving now and back at work, unfortunatley I work in a busy hospital pharmacy so stood up all day. Lots of ice is needed when I get home.
         Like you say it is very hard on the family, my kids cant understand why its not be made better by the hospital!
Like you my good knee has started bothering me too, went for a  check up with OS last Friday, and he seems to think when the bad knee is working propery it will be ok. I hope so.
            Are you fully recovered from the plica excision now? Is the problem with your good knee the same as the other?
    Thanks again. Hope everyone else is doing ok, this site has been fantastic!

Offline Donna68

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 05:24:07 PM »
Hi Lesley
I think I'm recovered from the plica excision now but I still get pain when I bend the knee, my OS has said that it's where the cartilage is worn thin, I had it tided up during my arthroscopy and my only option for that would be further surgery, which I am trying to avoid because I am scared to death of making matters even worse than they are now.  My good knee started playing up soon after my op too like you, my OS said the same thing and yes it did calm down eventually but I think that's because I didn't go back to work and now I have returned to work I'm finding the symptoms have returned.  Any prolonged sitting or standing is a killer on my knees  :(
Donna
Arthroscopy - plica excision - chondroplasty Jan 03 - OA