Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: cruciate ligament tear  (Read 951 times)

Offline bambi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
cruciate ligament tear
« on: April 29, 2006, 10:10:54 PM »
Looking for help and guidance!!!!
I have just recently had key hole surgery to my right knee to investigate after a football injury.
I have had my cartlidge repaired but the surgery showed a tear to my cruciate.The consultant has told me i require knee reconstruction!!!
Can anyone advise what this entails and what are my options.
Also is a tear as bad as the ligament snapping.
All comments and views appreciated.

Thanks

Bambi

Offline smiley196

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • *I love soccer...miss you girls*
Re: cruciate ligament tear
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:46:09 PM »
Hi there
The reconstruction your doctor is talking abnout is either that of the PCL or ACL...I have had both done. They take a graft from either your hamstring or patella tendon and thread it through to make a new ligament. If you go to google and search ACL reconstruction, Im sure youll find alot of helpful sites.
Krista
*16 years old*
Left Knee:
Torn:PCL, ACL, MCL
SEVERAL dislocations
Grade 3 Chondromalacia
Medial & Lateral Meniscus tears
Plica Syndrome
Sept 14th 2005-(LK)ACL recon, TTT, menisectomy,plica removal

May 26th/06-Torn ACL(RK)

June 14th/06-(LK)ACL graft recon, screw removal, menisectomy

Offline firefytinfemale

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 02:45:42 PM »
I've found some great websites with loads of information.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them here... so email me at [email protected] and I will gladly share them with you.   I had my ACL reconstructed using a graft from my hamstring 5 1/2 weeks ago.   Good LUCK!!!!!!!!!

Offline sparkle999

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 07:20:31 PM »
If you look on the main kneeguru board you will find info on cruciate ligaments...also look down the cruciate section further down this bulletin board. A couple of weeks ago some1 posted a really good site about ACLR.

It's a LONG process with basically a year until full return to contact sports. Post in the cruciate section for replies from ppl who have had this done(me included)

xx
35 y/o
ACL rupture
loose body under kneecap
impaction fractures
injury 19th march 2005
scope 9th may
recon 24th october 05

Offline patpalloon

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 10:37:57 PM »
Hi Bambi, sorry to hear about your cruciate tear. I presume it is your anterior cruciate (ACL) not the posterior. Tear, rupture, etc is all the same thing really. The op your OS is talking about is an ACL reconstruction. Sewing the ends of the damaged ACL together (repair) gives poor results so a reconstruction is done. The new 'ACL' is made from tendon tissue. This is commonly either from your own hamstrings (on the back/inside of the knee) or the patella. This is from the front of your knee and incorporates a piece of bone from the kneecap and tibia. These methods are known as autografts - the donated tendon comes from your own body. An allograft might be an option depending on where you live. In this case, the donated tissue comes from a dead person.

Your ACL unfortunately won't heal by itself. However, a reconstruction is not always essential. May people choose not to have it repaired. When the ACL is torn, it causes some instability in the knee. The ACL stops the tibia moving forward in relation to the femur. In some people, that instability causes the knee to give out, but in other people this may not happen. Whether or not you have the surgery also depends partly on what sports you want to continue to do. Things like football, basketball and skiing generally require an ACL to peform properly. For running and cycling it is less important.

There is some evidence that if you don't have an ACL reconstructed you are more likely to develop arthritis.

I tore my ACL in September last year and I decided to go for an ACL recon which I had 2 days ago. Unfortunately it is one of these things that is not always clear cut in deciding. You need to discuss it with your OS.

Whichever route you take you will need to do lots of physio to build up the muscles in the leg (quads and hamstrings) and also it is vital to get good range of movement in the knee, particularly full extension. There's lots of info on this site under the cruciate section. Also try and google 'should I have ACL surgery' and 'what type of ACL surgery should I have' and you'll find a lot of information.

hope this helps,

Robin
LEFT KNEE: ACL and medial meniscal tear Sept 05.
Arthroscopy Jan 06.
Hamstring ACLR Apr 06.

RIGHT KNEE: meniscal tear 2008. Partial meniscectomy 2008 and again 2009.