Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: arthroscopy this week but now no pain  (Read 1322 times)

Offline sarah06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
arthroscopy this week but now no pain
« on: April 29, 2006, 06:08:51 PM »
HI. I'm new to this site and have found it very helpful but I have a couple of queries of my own. I'm due to have an arthroscopy next week due to a possible meniscal tear. In the past 8 months I have had several instances of my knee feeling like it's locking, then a few hours of giving way and then once the giving way feeling stops, I get a lot of swelling and pain for about a week afterwards. IN between these pretty painful events, the pain can be quite minimal with only an occasional sharp pain as if something is catching in my knee. The last time my knee locked was about a month ago and since then it's been ok. Does this sound like a meniscal tear to anyone who has simialr experiences?

Offline jstump

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: arthroscopy this week but now no pain
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »
sounds similar to what I am going thru now.  i had a tpfx in july sx july 27 nwb for 12 wks the norm from there but now i am having severe pain and they are saying acl or possible meniscus

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 06:20:20 PM »
you're having the 'scope, so I assume you've been diagnosed with a tear?  locking, pain, swelling all indications of one.

see here:  http://steadman-hawkins.com/meniscus/overview.asp
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

Offline sarah06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 06:35:24 PM »
Thanks for your prompt replies. As far as diagnosed is concerned I've had an x-ray and one visit to OS. He said he was 95% sure it was tear and it would be best to go straight for an arthroscopy. I feel I should trust that but a 10 minute session doesn't really inspire confidence and now not having any pain for days is making me question whether the arthroscopy is really necesssary....

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 06:43:59 PM »
I understand what you're saying but by reading your history I would say it's not totally unnecessary since you've been having problems for 8 months and they don't exactly sound minor.

Are you thinking maybe the tear healed up on it's own, yes that's possible but highly unlikely. I had the surgery and I will tell you truth, the first 6 weeks are pretty rough in terms of you have to baby your knee, but after that I think you'll be thankful you got it taken care of. I would just stress to your surgeon that you really don't want to have much removed if any at all. Let him know that you know how valuable it is to hold on to your meniscus. I had about 20% removed and I know that once I build up my muscles and get in better physical shape I'll be doing a lot of the things I did before.

Right now, I have no pain upon walking just if I make sudden twists but that is to be expected I also have no ACL at the moment. Overally, the op is not so bad. Think, you'll be feeling super by mid-June, right in time for summer.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 08:01:26 PM »
If you feel,that you want a second oppinion ,then go see another doctor.I know that 10 min of consulting doesent give a good trust, but they are professionals and its not like solving a puzzle when watching your knee.They have experience and they know when what is broken or teared.If you have had some problems with your knee and you have had swelling and then also some time with no pain,then now is the period of no time.There is also the possibility to put the operation in the future for few months, and if you have some more problems, then have a arthroscopy.The problems with knee arent just from nothing,there has to be something wrong inside.Go have it checked by a second Doctor if you dont trust the one you have now, so long i wish you all the best and take care.
unhappy triad

Offline jstump

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 02:17:50 PM »
sarah yes this sounds like the pain and probs I am having and I am 11mos out from my tpfx  they did an mri but couldn't see the soft tissue very well because my hardware is so large and in the way. so next month they will do the scope and take out the hardware then I wait for that to heal and have the acl and meniscus repair she is pretty positive thats the current prob., I hope so I am tired of hurting limping complaining and not being able to do the things I want to to around the house I have to do something smalll and rest and do that over and over FRU
STRATING! as you know hang in there and I will let you know how it goes  Jerice

Offline spooky

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:30:48 AM »
I had painful locking and when I saw the surgeon he said if you have locking then the damage will jsut get worse usually.  (mine did over a short time) 

I only had an xray before the arthroscopy as well and the surgeon was sure I had a tear he just took an xray (which didnt' show anything ) and he manipulated my knee. 

During hte surgery he found a large lateral tear and due to damege it had caused I had to have some cartledge scrapped.   now it is fine and very good.  I went for periods with out trouble and pain only for it to lock again in the end it was locking so badly I worried if it would ever become unlocked without going to the emergency so I would get it done.  If you are not sure you can always seeka  second opinion.

Offline sarah06

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 02:00:56 PM »
Thanks for that spooky. I went ahead with the arthroscopy yeserday and I'm pleased I did. Despite not having had any pain for a while, it turned out that I had a pretty big meniscal tear which was flapping in the joint.  In fact I was greeted in recovery by the nurse showing me a chunk of the cartilage that they had removed!! I'm now one day post op and feeling absolutely fine. My knee twinges a bit but I'm mobile and have only had to take a couple of painkillers. For somebody who absolutely hates hospitals and would normally have to be dragged into one kicking and screaming - yesterday proved to be a lot less traumatic than I expected. Everybody at the hospital was fantastic and went out of their way to make sure that I was comfortable and I'm pleased that I didn't wimp out in the end. Hopefully this is the end of my knee problems but if it's not then I'm sure that I will deal with it much more positively and trust the experts a lot more than I did this time.

Sarah x  ;D

Offline sarah81

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 02:12:46 PM »
Great News Sarah :)

harry78

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 02:45:36 PM »
Hi Sarah, yes that good news that the offending part of the meniscus was removed, but this may not totally be end of story there.
Sounds as if the the knee needs to have strength for two reasons - 1) To safeguard the excised meniscus and 2) To prevent any further giving way episodes in the future. I had something similar except I also had my ACL reconstructed, but I had to work hard on my lateral muscles like the iliotibial band, popliteus and so forth to guard against these two factors. I keep my cut out lateral meniscus close to me as it was once part of my body.