Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Feeling better already!  (Read 1722 times)

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Feeling better already!
« on: April 09, 2003, 11:58:14 PM »
Wow am I glad to be writing this.   I had my knee scoped yesterday (just over 24 hours ago) and it now feels great.  (Already better than it did before surgery, believe it or not!)  I had a bucket handle tear of the medial meniscus, which could not be repaired so the damaged part was removed.   I was fully awake by the time I was wheeled into the recovery room, and I was up and walking a few steps on it about 30 minutes later.   Almost no noticable swelling yet and everything feels smooth and pain free.   The only real pain I've experienced so far was from the tube in my throat!   I am taking a minimal dosage of pain meds just in case, since I've been told it's easier to prevent than to stop once it should start.

I had my ACL reconstructed on the same knee a few years ago and while I was expecting this to be far less painful, this is absolutely amazing (and this time I'm on FAR less serious pain meds).   :D   I remember trying to do that first straight leg raise after my full reconstruction and it was up there with the most painful experiences of my life.   Yesterday the nurse said lets put some pillows under your knee and I lifed it right up and bent it and straightened it back out and was literally laughing I was so happy to be pain-free and have such easy flexibility.   I spent the last 24 hours with it elevated above my heart, but have had no pain or problems walking around without crutches to change ice, etc.

So kudos to my doctor and anesthesiologist and everyone else involved.   And I hope that all of you having arthroscopic surgery in the future will have it go so smoothly!   I was pretty worried going into it (having heard lots of horror stories from skiing friends and such).   What a relief!

Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

Offline MeganJRA

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Feeling better already!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 04:58:02 AM »
That is WONDERFUL.  My first 3 knee surgeries I had to be on crutches for 6 weeks with no weight.  Then, this last one, just over a year ago, I was only on crutches for 3 days!  The difference was amazing.  I think that if you know you will be off you knee for a long time, it just takes longer to heal.  The subconscious thing!!

Anyway, I am so happy for you!

Good luck with the rest of you recovery!

Megan

Offline cm

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 10:22:49 PM »
Reading so many stories of people's painful experiences here I almost felt bad posting it!   But then I figured it might give some encouragement to people worrying before having surgery and figured I should share my experience.  
Left knee ACL reconstruction w/hamstring graft and meniscus repair 10/00
Left knee bucket handle meniscus tear - partial meniscetomy 4/8/03

Offline opal

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 10:03:58 PM »
cm

Good for you!!!!  Am so very happy that you didn't have to wait "to see if it healed on its own" which is a phrase I heard all too often in years past.  Be sure to do your straight leg raises and quad sets to keep those muscles going and you'll be good as new in no time!

All the best,

Opal
7 arthroscopies on both knees since 1991; many torn menesci and plica syndrome; TTT 5/23/02 for maltracking patella.  Screws removed on 4/16/03!!!

Iona_-Uk

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2003, 02:55:07 AM »
That really is excellent news.

All the best for a safe & speedy recovery with your PT.

Iona x

Offline bayrab

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Gotta ride - despite bum knee!
    • BayRab Acres
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2003, 06:43:51 AM »
Yeah! I hope your knee continues to improve.

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2003, 05:10:53 PM »
That's wonderful to hear!

And I think it's very encouraging to post success stories here, too.  I linger because my knee problems have always been long-term, but my surgery in March was a success.  

Wishing you the best in continued recovery!

Cheers,
Barb :)
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2003, 03:08:12 AM »
 ;D That's awesome! We really do need to hear more good stories like yours!

cat
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

support