Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anything new with Synovial Chondromatosis  (Read 2641 times)

Offline grbrown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Anything new with Synovial Chondromatosis
« on: April 09, 2003, 09:36:04 PM »
Hi,

My name is Graham Brown, I am 27 years old and have just officially been diagnosed with Synovial Chondromatosis after my fourth Arthroscopy (and 2nd synovial shaving). Not sure where I should post a question about this, however here it is:-

Does anyone know of any interesting work going on to find a cure or at least something to relieve this problem? My consultant tells me that I am likely to need Arthroscopy / Synovial Shaving every 5 years to keep the problem at bay. I don't like the idea of having this kind of surgery so frequently. Does anyone know of anything that may be of interest? I am about to try some Homeopathic remedies supplied by a friend who is a consultant in that area.

Thanks

Graham

Offline Donna

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: Anything new with Synovial Chondromatosis
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 06:51:04 AM »
Hi Graham,

Could you tell me a little more about your condition? Symtoms etc. I have had to have 5 surgeries on the same knee including synovial work this last surgery. I also had to have a MRI with dye injected into the knee to check for a synovial joint fluid leak.

Thanks
Donna
4/88 menis, chondroplasty,
10/01 menis, chondroplasty
2/02 microfrac,chondro,menis,
4/02 Fulkerson TTT, LR, microfrac,
2/03 open LR,fat pad removal, lysis,menis Still need more surgery.

Offline grbrown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 01:04:04 PM »
Sure can! Back in 1996 I had problems with my left knee which kept giving way randomly, it was found I had loose bodies there and I was told they were bone fragments. They were removed by arthroscopy and no cause could be found (NHS). In 2001 I had the same problem plus clicking and pain, the same procedure was performed and again no cause was found (NHS).

In 2002 I started experiencing locking of the joint as well as pain, I was referred privately and after discussion with the consultant I sent in some research from the net stating I thought I had the disease. He agreed and a partial synovectomy was carried out along with arthroscopy. This did not work as he could not remove the bodies embedded in my synoviam and I was worse after the OP. I was referred to a new consultant who has repeated the procedure, I am currently recovering and the knee feels OK. He has indicated now that I will likely have to keep going back for more removal of bodies in the future. I also have a worn patch on one of the bones which could cause osteo arthritis in the future.

Basically, I want to see if there is anything I can do to stop this coming back. Despite the excellent treatment from my latest consultant I am still left not quite sure if I know the full picture about this disease!

To this date I have had many XRays and one MRI Scan, not with any kind of Fluid injected however just a regular one.

Graham

Offline Kel43

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 03:31:04 PM »
Just found this site - I am 43 years old and after 2 knee arthroscopic - diagnosed with synovial chondromatosis.  I am going to Johns Hopkins at the end of August for a consult.  From infor. on the net, looks like no cure, only more surgery.  Last surgery Jan. 2004.  MRI and x-rays  taken this month show as much or more "loose bodies."  Anyone else have information?  Thanks.

Offline grbrown

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 05:06:20 PM »
Right now I do not know much more. I have now had 5 arthroscpoic removal of the loose bodies including 3 partial synovectomies (where they shave the lining of your knee, partial as they cannot get all of it off working through a small hole). The accepted treatment for this right now seems to be full or open synovectomy where they open the knee and properly shave off all of the lining of the knee. This carries with it a long recouperation period and wasn;t for me!
It tends to reoccur frequently but there have been some cases where it has "burnt out" leading to secondary degeneration of the knee joint and so osteoarthritis. I will be happy if it does burn out as the advances being made in the arthritis area look encouraging...

As for the cause there are a couple of theories, the main one atm seem to be that it is caused by a previous trauma in the affected joint. Personally I don;t remember ever hurting my knee although I do remember being stung by a wasp on it once. The strange thing is that my mother met another sufferer by chance a few months back and we had similarities in our diet. We both took in very little milk (I hated it) and we both drunk copious amounts of orange juice (not squash) every day. Probably nothing but I don;t remember anyone ever looking at diet before! For what it's worth I am also an asthmatic and so take a lot of steriod inhalers every day too!

I'll try to answer any other questions you may have though.

Graham

Offline oumsofiane

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 04:23:08 AM »
Graham,

It's interesting that you're mentioning the diet. So here is a little background about me.

I have been recently diagnosed with Synovial Chondromatosis, I am 33 and I have been feeling some level of discomfort in my knee for the last 12 years. It never got too bad for me to go to the doctor and thought with exercise it will just go away.

As a toddler, my mom told me that I didn't want to drink milk, but later as I was growing up and being told that I had to, ended up drinking milk. Although drinking milk makes me feel bloated.

I had a Genetic DNA (23AndMe) done recently, and the report came with the following remark "Likely lactose intolerant"

So not sure, if that's related, but it may be a good idea to have a survey and lookup for a correlation.

As for me, I'm waiting for a surgery, not sure if I should do it at Kaiser (that's where I have my insurance) or just wait for a better treatment to be found.